exhaust gaskets

Airwolfie

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to get my exhausts, and I need to install them.

Do these copper rings need to stay in or do they have to come out?

13253488604_f8bf7fba3d_b.jpg

I have some new gasket rings(don'tknow what they are called!), but do they go over these copper rings, or do the copper rings get replaced by the new ones?

Thanksfor your help!

These gaskets are identical to many Yamaha bikes and can be found at probably any Yamaha dealer. Can't tell you about price though. Dealer might be higher. This is the part number: 3GD-14613-00-00. I replaced mine a week or so ago after I got them from the local Yamaha dealer. The PO had tightened the clamp, probably so many times and so hard, that it was hard up against the cylinder. They don't need to be tightened that much. But after it heat cycles a few times, you might need to tighten it a bit more.

In the Yamaha parts fiche they're called: 'Gasket, exhaust'.

In our Honda parts books, they were called: 'Bearing, muffler'.

So, at order time, we would usually request a dozen muffler bearings and a case of blinker fluid...
Hilarious!

smg65 covers it, the flanges don't need to touch the head and the two bolts need to be snugged evenly so the flange gap is about the same all the way around. You want the exhaust nuts there at least snugged up before you finish tightening the rest of the exhaust mounts.

I have aftermarket headers and currently using the emgo gaskets from Mike's. I tighten the flanges all the way to the head, and my pipes ( both sides ) are still loose, so I know they are leaking a bit. I just ordered a set of OEM gaskets with the hopes that this would resolve my issue... Has anyone else experienced this with the emgo gaskets or are my headers just junk?

well if the header has short necks you might try two gaskets but you should do some measuring and see why they don't fit up correctly.

Back