Exhaust max dB / E- approval

Bjorn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking into a new exhaust for my XS, mainly to make it more quiet. For years i rode with simple megaphones but I really want a more quiet bike. Im not looking for an original XS exhaust. But i need to find out if I need Universal replacement silencers with the E mark.

I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and I'm trying to find out what rules my new exhaust needs to meet. I've done some research regarding the E- approval for exhaust. This is obligatory for all modern bikes but I cannot find any data on the XS 650. I'm not sure if it pre dates the E- approval?

I also checked the Dutch vehicle database, but there is no mention of a specific dB level at a certain rpm. For my specific bike .

Does anyone have an original exhaust, and does it have a E- approval Mark on it? (Bike is from 1980)

Thanks!

I have had 2 x machines 1980 s I don't remember seeing any markings on either of them.Stock
I have them in the storage but cant get them out that easy.

When one muffler rusted through I bought a set .And specifically said I don't want to buy them if I don't pass the MOT Inspection that was mandatory
They are marked e4 -78 /1015--91005 BSM

Installed and at the MOT I did not pass . Typical abuse of power There was a measurement that should be performed at certain rpm and at certain height and distance.
There was 4 or 5 staff on the yard and I used words that possibly destroyed future communication.
I knew how these measurements should be done since the same equipment was used where i worked then.
Those morons did not have a clue And I told them.

I contacted the seller and he said he could produce documents if needed and it is possible to insert things that reduces sound ( dont know the English word -- db killer ? ) .
But we agreed I went to another towns MOT station and there I got the Approval.Never again problems
Now it no longer needs to be inspected

Back