Exhaust Pipe Question

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started up the 650 today just for kicks and giggles (heck, it is 40 after all). I relish the sound of the engine running. I noticed that the left hand side exhaust header is stone cold after 2 or 3 minutes of running and the right hand side is hot to the touch (hot enough that I can't touch it for more than a quick moment). Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Brock

No, that's not normal. Both pipes should be hot. The left isn't firing. The type of ignition you have fires both plugs at once. If one side works, they both do, so that rules it out. It could be a bad plug, plug wire, or plug cap on that left side though. Could also be carb related - badly out of sync or pilot circuit blocked on the left carb.

Thanks 5twins. I'm inclined to think it is ignition related. I'll pull the plug, ground it and check for spark. Thanks!

Before you dive in to the ignition system, try this simple technique to eliminate a plugged carburetor idle circuit. Direct a shot of ether (starting fluid) at the air filter (or carburetor inlet) of the "dead" cylinder. If it picks up the lazy cylinder, check the carburetor for some sort of blockage. Quick and easy.........................Wesley

Before you dive in to the ignition system, try this simple technique to eliminate a plugged carburetor idle circuit. Direct a shot of ether (starting fluid) at the air filter (or carburetor inlet) of the "dead" cylinder. If it picks up the lazy cylinder, check the carburetor for some sort of blockage. Quick and easy.........................Wesley

10-4. Thanks.

Back