Exhaust question Interchangeability

ace79xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that my 79 xs650 special has exhaust headers with a double wall but my question is do the older xs650's like 75 have a single wall?
If they do would it fit on my 79?

No, all 650s had the double wall headpipes. Bite the bullet and buy new aftermarket pipes. The larger I.D. will improve performance (as long as you don't go too big).

The other thing to consider is that your stock exhaust is one piece - the mufflers are welded to the headpipes. Older 650s used separate mufflers and headpipes. If you got older headpipes, you would need new (or at least different) mufflers anyway. So, a complete exhaust replacement (mufflers and headpipes) is the best option. If you compare prices to other bikes, you'll find that 650 exhaust systems are really quite reasonably priced. You can usually do a complete system for not much more than $300.

Been on Ebay for replacement exhaust for my 71XS1 and is a F series. It looks like it may have been a transition model to the XS2. That being said part numbers between XS1 and 2 are different. There could be enough difference could use a little help here

Back