Exhaust question

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So I have a '77 and an '80.

the '77 exhaust has a nut that holds the header to the muffler. The nut seem stuck.

the '80 exhaust doesn't have a nut but seems like its either welded or simply held together by the mount bolts.

My question is how do you get them apart? If I can't where should I cut them so the inner tube doesn't rattle. Anybody got any measurements for a cut point? thanks.

I've never taken one apart, but I've seen a lot cut. The '78 E I bought had cut pipes on it. The PO had cut them just upstream of the nut or joint or whatever. Dunno if they rattle, though, cuz all I did was just pull them off and toss them into the 'old parts' pile.

It occurs to me though that the best place to cut them might be right at the joint, since the joint probably fastens both inner and outer pipes. And if you can preserve some of the joint, or cut just at the downstream edge of the joint, then the inner pipes will be secured. Yes?

- for your 80, cut the welds, first of the little cover plate which is tacked on at the ends only and then where the muffler is welded to the header...you will need to remove the complete exhaust - you may have to cut the balance pipe if it is oxidised together
- it will look something like this
P1100002.jpg

- ive had to cut those nuts off before

Back