exhaust/ with 5" slight kick up and commando mufflers??????

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys i,m currently cleaning my carbys and also looking at a few other parts i,d be happty with on my bike,,,, i was looking at the kit mikesxs sells i think they are 45mm with slight kit ups at the rear along with 26" commando mufflers ,,,,has anybody used them and what are they like i looking at putting on my 1976 frame regards oldbiker

I like the kicked up headpipes. The muffler sits above the rear axle so you don't have to take a muffler off to remove the wheel, the axle slides out right underneath it .....

Commando-MAC.jpg

BaffleBolt.jpg

I like the kicked up headpipes. The muffler sits above the rear axle so you don't have to take a muffler off to remove the wheel, the axle slides out right underneath it .....

Commando-MAC.jpg

BaffleBolt.jpg
....................... hi that set up looks great regards oldbiker

Hi 5T,

Are these the Special pipes mikesxs sells? I thought they would fit a standard but did not know of anyone who tried.

Bob's luggage mounts are old Krausers. I found an exact copy called Olympic. These are NOS that a retailer can buy wholesale from the Dixie motorcycle warehouse. Mostly considered BMW luggage, there are kits that adapt the mounts to other bikes. I made my own by copying Bob. I'm not too fond of the luggage itself but I have thought about making some simple boxes from 1/4" plywood that fit the mounts.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
Actually, my exhaust is bits and pieces. When I replaced my headpipes about 8 years ago, Mikes was not selling their own pipes yet. They sold MACs and that's what mine are. I started out with Dunstall replica mufflers then upgraded to the Commandos when they came out. And it was a very nice upgrade. I didn't realize just how crappy the Dunstall reps were until I got the Commandos. I mounted one Commando with a Dunstall and started the bike. Boy, did that Dunstall sound bad, lol.

As Tom said, the bag mounts are Krauser. I've been running the Krauser bag system on many of my bikes for many years. I think it's one of the most versatile systems around. Unfortunately, they no longer make it. The bags quick detach by pushing just one button .....

650Fall08-6.jpg

650Fall08-2.jpg

Thanks guys.
5twins,
So do you know if the current MACs headpipes the same as your older flavor? I like the way the header almost exactly parallels the frame down tube. Some other pipes are so ...rounded, that the look like a section from a hula hoop...

Still exhaust related... what is the diameter of the header? I've read several threads where the MikesXS and other headers at 40mm (1.57") to 1.75" create problems with not enough back-pressure.

I may start hitting ebay up for some Krauser mounts. If you wait long enough, and are lucky enough not to miss it, I swear everything is on ebay at some time or other....

Regards

Thanks guys.
5twins,
So do you know if the current MACs headpipes the same as your older flavor? I like the way the header almost exactly parallels the frame down tube. Some other pipes are so ...rounded, that the look like a section from a hula hoop...

Still exhaust related... what is the diameter of the header? I've read several threads where the MikesXS and other headers at 40mm (1.57") to 1.75" create problems with not enough back-pressure.

I may start hitting ebay up for some Krauser mounts. If you wait long enough, and are lucky enough not to miss it, I swear everything is on ebay at some time or other....

Regards
................... hi i read somehere on mikesxs site where they were selling st/st exhaust which was 45mm along with the commando mufflers regards oldbiker

I can't say for sure if the MAC headpipes are still the same but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. They've been making this item for years. They are 1.5" O.D., probably about 1 3/8" I.D. Supposedly, that's about the ideal size. The only problem I encountered was with the mounting flanges on the pipes. They were very narrow and didn't seal well at all. I solved it by making headpipe inserts from the ends of my old stock headpipes. These centered, sealed and mounted the MACs very solidly .....

HomemadeARs.jpg

Inserts.jpg

Basically, I made my own AR inserts but didn't realize I was doing so at the time. My main goal was a solid, leak free mounting method. I also fabbed up a filler ring for the step in the port, seen at the left in the pic above and inserted into the port below .....

FillerRing.jpg

5twins - great info, and good looking work. Printed and put in my exhaust folder...!
That is kind of a wimpy looking flange seal. Can I assume it moved the headers "forward" by the dimension of the thick portion of your adapter - maybe 3/8"? Any problems?

oldbiker - Ive been on the MikesXS site more than I should be... their header/dunstall system is not stainless, it's mild steel, chromed, 1 3/8" ID. The "standard" is out of stock (and has been for several weeks), but the system with "upswept" pipes for the Specials is in stock; the pics of MACS on ebay appear upswept as well; as do 5twins.

Yes, the headpipes were moved forward a little but it caused no problems. I was only able to use a flat washer on the studs, not a flat and lock as it was originally, but they've never come loose. If anything, moving the headers forward (and down slightly) helped with the mounting farther back, providing a bit more clearance between the pipe and frame, side cases too.

I'm not sure this insert mod would work with the MikesXS headpipes. They have a thicker finned flange much like the original stock ones. The MAC flange is a much thinner flat plate, maybe 1/4" thick.

FlangeSpace.jpg

Also of note, my exhaust studs, totally coated their entire length with copper anti-seize. With all the heat in this area, they tend to get all rusty. When you have the pipes off, I recommend wire wheeling them clean then coating them.

Back