Extended Swing Arm and Rear Suspension?

IhaveAnXS650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I want to go for this look with a motolanna swing arm and yss rear suspension. What do you think is the length of these rear shocks? Should I try this at all? Thanks

Attachments

• Motogadgets.jpg
    Motogadgets.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 888
  • MyBike1.jpg
    MyBike1.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 882
  • MyBike2.jpg
    MyBike2.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 541
I want to go for this look with a motolanna swing arm and yss rear suspension. What do you think is the length of these rear shocks? Should I try this at all? Thanks

Hi IhaveAnXS650 and welcome,
If you extend the swingarm you'll need longer stiffer shocks just to get the bike's stance and ride back to where it was before.
But should you?
From your profile, I'd advise riding the bike "as is" for this riding season so you get a feel for the machine.
And a bike's "look" is far less important than how it goes, eh?

You have a special frame the top shock mounts are lower and forward of where they are on a standard frame, not a big deal but as Fred sez with that top shock mount and a long arm your shocks will have a "laid down" look to them. proper action can be achieved with by correct springs and damping. Chain, chain guard clearance will be one issue. Top shock mounts can be moved but that's not trivial frame surgery.

Some classics used that laid down look to great success.

Norton-Commando-1974-01-side.jpg

While others kept more vertical.

Triumph_Bonneville_IMG_2738.jpg

Max is 4" on stock arm because as you extend arm you widen axle length . I have done many 3" ones and stock shock still works but not a stiff. 4" or longer shock must be taller for stock height. Now you could get another swing arm from another bike like a GS750 and with a little work you don't change the axle length. I have used GS GPZ and CB arms on XS650 for a little stretch and all worked or you can buy a aftermarket square tube arm that is made for your bike too but they are costly.

interesting that the shock angle kinda mirrors the cylinder angle in those 2 examples.

Back