Extending kick stand (thicker footplate?)

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve read on this wonderful forum before that when using an 18” rear wheel the kick stand needs to be extended?

Can anybody who’s done this mod tell me by how much? I’m planning on using something a little different for the footplate and was wondering if I cut the old one off how thick the new one would have to be to compensate for an 18” rear wheel.

I hope this makes sense. Daniel.

the rolling diameter tween a 130/16 and a 120.18 is negliable. Kickstands are easy cut n weld projects, Hint; check how the bottom plates sits with the stand UP and down before final welding. Lot's of heat, penetration for good welds here, preheat wouldn't hurt.

the rolling diameter tween a 130/16 and a 120.18 is negliable. Kickstands are easy cut n weld projects, Hint; check how the bottom plates sits with the stand UP and down before final welding. Lot's of heat, penetration for good welds here, preheat wouldn't hurt.

So you’re saying the 18” wheel shouldn’t make much difference?

I remember reading on here that the bike leans rather precariously with an 18” wheel? Maybe it was 5Twins who had done the mod and described stacking little discs of metal and then welding & grinding.

I imagined using a thicker footplate rather that extending the actual kick stand arm length.

Thanks for the reply gggGary!

Are you changing the shock length? I think that would make a bigger impact on the lean angle.

Yes, as mentioned, the 18" wheel isn't the big factor here, it's the length of your new shocks compared to stock, and possibly any wear or bends your stand and the mount have incurred over the years. Test parking after you've installed the new items on a stack of plate pieces is the only way you'll know what's best for your particular bike. All I can do is give you an idea or approximate range of what you'll need to add. That would be 1/2" to possibly as much as an inch. I've ended up with about 3/4" on my Standard and my new shocks are only 13.27" long. On my Special, I've already added a half inch to the stand and it's still totally stock. When I put longer shocks on it, I very well may need to add more length to the stand.

Be sure what you do is very worth changing the length of the kickstand for... If not...you'll just have a wacky mess when you're done.

On my 75 the side stand was in pretty bad shape. The U shaped end where it hooks to the frame was very worn.
I have an 82 Yamaha Seca 650 , the side stand mounts the same way. After mounting it needed to be straightened a bit to work. Heat and a piece of pipe worked for that Once straighten it was still a bit short. I went to the hardware store and picked up a few 3/4 washers. With the stand down I put a washer under the stand. Add as many as you need. This got it up about right. A tack or two to hold it, remove to finish the welding. Works well. The washer being much larger than the stock stands foot keeps it from sinking into soft surfaces.
I did the same on the 81 also. Haven't done the 83.
I also have several old lawn mower blades with the ends cut off so they are about 6 or 7 inches long. I can slip one in a back pocket to carry along in case I need it. On a soft spot just slip the section of blade under the stand.
I used to use pieces of 1/2 plywood but that was often too much.
Leo

Big Foot! You can use a hole saw to make a circle out of plywood. It will have a 1/4" hole throuhh the center. Drill a hole and tap 1/4-20 in the botton of the stand foot. Screw the new foot to the bottom of the stand.

Back