Failure to Start, Electronics Die

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an interesting issue I am trying to chase down.

On Friday morning, I started my bike and cut the choke too soon, killing the bike. I went to restart it, and my electronics completely shut off. Tail light died and neutral light went out. I checked my fuses, pulling them all, and they were all fine, but my neutral light came back on. I tried to start it again and got the same reaction. Again, pulling the fuses out and resetting worked. Additionally, it seems that disconnecting the battery and reconnecting has the same effect.

Anyone have any idea where to start looking for the issue?

What year of XS650 is it ? sounds like a 80+ version.... I've had that problem once but found it was the funky fuse box on my 82'
Bob.......

As was already mentioned, Have you upgraded your stock glass tube fuse set up for the more modern blade fuse set up? If not, this may be a good time to do it.
Glass tube fuses were crap when they first came into use. It was state of the art then but now they are still crap.
Also as mentioned weak battery can act that way. Your battery may weak and your charging system may be weak. Do you have a motorcycle battery charger? If so fully charge your battery with it, then try again to start.
DON"T use a car battery charger, they have to much amperage as well as charge to a higher voltage. On the good side this will lead to short battery life, on the worse side it could blow up your battery, flying acid can not only hurt the things near it like when in the bike, things around the battery on the bench or you if you are watching it. Battery acid on your skin isn't to bad, in your eyes is serious.
once you get the bike running check battery voltage while at idle and at higher rpms. At idle around 12.5 or so is fine, As you rev the engine somewhere around 2000 rpms or so the voltage should be around 14.2, at rpms above 3000 it should never go higher than the voltage you get at 2000 rpms.
If your voltage doesn't increase at higher rpms or goes above 15 volts your charging system needs some attention. There is a Charging System Guide on here. Can be found in the TECH section at the upper part of this page.
The fuse upgrade can be found there too.
Leo

I just checked diab's other threads, and sure enough its an 1980, with the 4 position glass fuses.
As already mentioned by Leo and Bob, you must replace the original fuse panel with automotive blade type.

one time my '80 did that. Found a bolt from the starter loosened and backed out so much it was touching the electric post on the starter. So when I tried to start it ALL the battery juice went to ground . Killed that AGM battery.

LOL ...yah well it never hurts to get different opinions for sure !
However I have the same issue and I have the stock fuse box and I cleaned it many times it'll work for a while then it will do it again....
I ment to pick up a 4 place fuse pannel at autozone today but forgot completely about it..... AGAIN !!!!!
there is nothing about replacing it just plug the wires in like they are on the original fuse box ! easy peezy !
the 20 amp fuze goes in the first slot the rest are lower ones ....
.....I know that anything to do with wiring gives most guys the cold chills but this one is super simple...just remove and replace one at a time and you can't go wrong even if you try !
Bob..........

OOOW Azman ! didn't the smoke boiling up from between your legs tell you something was amiss ? or was it too dark to see and too late to care ? LOL:laughing:
Bob........

No smoke. No fried wires. Even the heavy cables. That's what was so weird. Loose connection so not a "good" grounding. Only happened when the starter button was pushed.

LOL yah ! i bet that made for a Lovely afternoon ! Hope you were home when that happened !
I fired up my bike after doing the 2M clutch worm mod and ran it for a few minutes but that's the most I've been on it in a month !
I don't want to get a ticket on an unlicensed bike ! so I leave it setting there collecting dust ! ( that black paint does that good !)
ooooh well ! ...that's how it goes, first your money then your clothes !
Bob........

Back