Fall riding....Arizona style, with photos of course!

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As I sit here typing this, it's a brisk 99 degrees outside. Brrr better fetch my sweater. So this morning I bundled up and braved the morning chill. I headed out west from my house towards farmland and the White Tank mountains. There is a mile long row of massive eucalyptus trees planted along the edge of a farm field out there. The trees must be nearly 100 years old, they are absolutely huge.
image.jpeg

In this photo, if you look at the mountains on the left, that white zig zag line is known as "The Scar"
Caterpillar had a proving grounds on the steep face of the White Tanks mountains back in the 50's.
image.jpeg

Well I'm not finding any fall colors here, so I turn and head for the historic neighborhood of Litchfield Park,
surely I'll find some fall color there.
image.jpeg

Does purple cactus count?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am on the grounds of the famous, historic Wigwam Resort , built in the 1920's . They have three championship golf courses that are always immaculate. Here I am risking dirty looks and getting yelled at, because I turned my bike onto a golf cart trail to snap a couple photos.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finally some fall color!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yeah I know, not really. But our coming winter really is our pretty time. All the plants that barely cling to life all summer long, suddenly burst to life as if it were springtime. We get a little winter rain and the wild flowers will pop. I can't wait.
Bob

Wow Bob, what amazing pics. Man you live in a beautiful place.

She looks great!

Looking forward to more 'on the road' pics.

Hey Bob, retirement is really doing you some good...........keep us informed with your travels.:bike::popcorn::cheers:

Nice pictures. Does the Maricopa County outdoor jail still use pink jump suits? That would be a colorful backdrop.

You’re seeing a five star resort there, it’s always beautiful! Haha!
Actually we here plant winter grass ( Rye ) in late September. It grows fast, is a very bright green and absolutely beautiful. It lasts until May. Then we switch to our summer grass ( Bermuda)
It’s a lot of work, but that’s the cost of living in the desert!

As I sit here typing this, it's a brisk 99 degrees outside. Brrr better fetch my sweater. So this morning I bundled up and braved the morning chill. I headed out west from my house towards farmland and the White Tank mountains. There is a mile long row of massive eucalyptus trees planted along the edge of a farm field out there. The trees must be nearly 100 years old, they are absolutely huge.
View attachment 107897
In this photo, if you look at the mountains on the left, that white zig zag line is known as "The Scar"
Caterpillar had a proving grounds on the steep face of the White Tanks mountains back in the 50's.
View attachment 107898
Well I'm not finding any fall colors here, so I turn and head for the historic neighborhood of Litchfield Park,
surely I'll find some fall color there.
View attachment 107900
Does purple cactus count?
View attachment 107902
View attachment 107899
I am on the grounds of the famous, historic Wigwam Resort , built in the 1920's . They have three championship golf courses that are always immaculate. Here I am risking dirty looks and getting yelled at, because I turned my bike onto a golf cart trail to snap a couple photos.
View attachment 107901
View attachment 107903
Finally some fall color!
View attachment 107904
View attachment 107905
Yeah I know, not really. But our coming winter really is our pretty time. All the plants that barely cling to life all summer long, suddenly burst to life as if it were springtime. We get a little winter rain and the wild flowers will pop. I can't wait.
Bob

Great Eucalypts Bob,
If you venture to the Antipodes you will see an abundance of these majestic beauties.

GW

Looks like the endless summer ended round here. I'll trade ya MM. Looks fantastic in the south west.

I've always said its like our seasons are reversed. October through May are usually beautiful , you just have to survive our brutally hot summers. We hole up in the summer the way that you do in the winter.

Very nice Mailman , good to hear you have a whole riding season ahead of you there ! Of course we all expect to see your adventures. Especially those of us up north who are now seeing our roads change to wet,cold,and slippery. Enjoy Bob ! -RT

Very nice Mailman , good to hear you have a whole riding sepason ahead of you there ! Of course we all expect to see your adventures. Especially those of us up north who are now seeing our roads change to wet,cold,and slippery. Enjoy Bob ! -RT

Hi Randy, I'm happy to hear you found some good riding trails near your new home. I hope the rain doesn't keep you inside too much. I very much enjoy your " on the road " photos too! Take care my friend!
Bob

Its all good , tho I don't post much about the dual sport. Its sure turned to that sort of riding up here. Short late afternoons are all us PNW'ers get now lol. But don't think Im going to even drain the carbs yet. And Bob if I had a beautiful XS taking me on adventures, well I'd definately be posting pics to try to keep up with you ! ENJOY, I'll try to keep up another day.... -R

Mailman, I can contribute a few more Pacific North West pics as our riding season is still lasting. Every last nice day counts up here. A beautiful, fun Fri eve ride after work today. About 75 miles round trip out of Vancouver WA. I hope everybody is enjoying their riding ! I just can't stop :)

Attachments

• 20171027_171538.jpg
    20171027_171538.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 20171027_172032.jpg
    20171027_172032.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 20171027_165603.jpg
    20171027_165603.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 20171027_171241.jpg
    20171027_171241.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 20171027_170353.jpg
    20171027_170353.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 20171027_170136.jpg
    20171027_170136.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20171027_181758.jpg
    20171027_181758.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 285
Hey Randy,
Nice photos! You sure live in a pretty part of the country. Glad you are enjoying your BMW, it really is a nice bike, perfect for your type of riding/exploring. Thanks for checking in!

Cool Bob, Im actually finding very nice spring XS adventure roads too. I just really enjoy the more rugged, patched, bumby, rough, curvy, forest roads on my dual sport wheels. I find myself up off the seat on my pegs throttling over the tough stuff like back in off road days. Its just in me to ride the rough sometimes. Even today I got some slime on my tires and felt the rear slide with the back brake back on the pavement. This more adventurous riding helps get me away from... everybody actually and gets me out in the great out doors ! -RT

I used to love my old enduro. I had a Yamaha XT500, those big thumpers are just perfect for backroad exploring!
061D8AFC-C4AE-4FA7-A0B8-04F41A8471C7.jpeg

Back