Fall Riding

LOL. On the way out of town I notice this house is for sale. It's been college students since I can remember, but it might be salvageable. It had a seminal influence on me as a developing lad, if you get my drift.
20171102_134014.png

Up for five miles, down for five miles, up for five miles, down for five miles...
20171102_142430.png

20171102_142505.png

It's at 36.7119495,-83.8266411 . It was kind of a religious experience really. Amazingly, Google Street View has it if you drag the yellow man onto the road.

Last edited:
LOL. On the way out of town I notice this house is for sale. It's been college students since I can remember, but it might be salvageable. It had a seminal influence on me as a developing lad, if you get my drift.
View attachment 108322

Up for five miles, down for five miles, up for five miles, down for five miles...
View attachment 108323

View attachment 108324

lovely colour in the trees we do not see this where I live in the tropics.

more pics please.

GW

Wednesday was a nice fine day with a temperature of 6 - 8 Celsius. Went for a ride without a map and stumbled across some fabulous mountain rides. I did not know these existed and they are no more than 20 miles in a straight line from my home. In crossing from the Ogmore Valley to Treorchy in the famous Rhondda Valley I climbed through approximately 1300 feet:

Poor quality photo enlarged to show the Ogmore Valley leading up to the mountain crossing in the distance. The Autumn colors have nearly completely gone.
Ogmore2.jpg

A quick stop and photo showing the last 1/2 mile of climb to the top (Very quiet road). These are old glacial valleys with their steep sides.
Ogmore1.jpg

The ride was so good that I repeated it the next day. The XS pulled strongly all the way up this part in 5th at 3000rpm.

lovely colour in the trees we do not see this where I live in the tropics.

more pics please.

GW
This is great documentary, and has lots of video of fall colors in the U.S. In the early 1900s, one in four trees in the east was a chestnut tree. In a few decades they were completely wiped out by a bilght, such that they are virtually non-existent now. The economic impact was tremendous and far-reaching. From commercial lumbering, to the fact that hogs foraging on chestnuts was the only way some people could keep meat. Practically nobody here even knows it ever happened.

Teenaged girl: “Doc [Martin]...am I going to die?”

Doctor Martin Ellingham: “Yes, but not today. “. The line is delivered absolutely deadpan.

For anyone who hasn’t watched it - this is one of the funniest shows ever made and it’s set in one of the most beautiful places in the UK - Cornwall. The remarkable things is that it never seems to rain there. I guess that’s because the show is shot only in the summer and they only make new episodes every couple of years. I have visited the little town where it is shot and it really is very pretty.

Other great British shows are Shetland (Scottish detective show - US and Canadian viewers may need the subtitles to follow the dialogue...) and Foyle's War (English detective show set in WW-II). These are absolutely absorbing cops & robbers (w. the occasional murder) ...shows, but nearly devoid of guns, car chases and psychotic people wearing hockey masks.

BTW - if Netflix doesn’t have these shows, your local public library may carry the DVDs which you can easily borrow at no charge. Our PL here in Windsor has all of the episodes of all three shows on DVD.

Last edited:
The weather outlook in Central New York is looking rather bleak, with rain and 30's forecast for the near future.
The winds have blown most of the leaves from the trees, and I'm left with just memories of the sweetest rides.

The transcendent outing of them all culminated at a sublime corn field on a blustery afternoon with the '75.
.......and this song was running in my head:

75.Ride 040.5.jpg

Our leaves are just coming in. I have rapidly changing elevation around here, so the colors vary. I'm at 1500 ft, but in a 20 minute ride, I'm over 3000 feet. It's warm and overcast, so I need to get on it and go! The pictured university (UNG) is seven miles from my house.
fall-dah-oh.png

That’s an area I want to explore next year. Beautiful shot Marty.

Pete.

Back