Fat front tyre

wiayeman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it only took 9 years, but my 79 is finally on the road. Looking to put a "fat" front tyre on, maybe a knobby. Does anyone have experience with what will work. Stock mag wheel and forks.....
thumbnail_IMG_2037.jpg

Well, it only took 9 years, but my 79 is finally on the road. Looking to put a "fat" front tyre on, maybe a knobby. Does anyone have experience with what will work. Stock mag wheel and forks.....
View attachment 175637

Hi wiayeman,
Glad to find an American that can correctly spell "tyre"
Alas that fatter than 4" won't fit through the fork tubes.
Suggestions:-
Install a fork brace to replace the fork rigidity that left with the front fender.
Check front M/C piston diameter. Stocker too big, Go for 11mm.
Replace stock front brake hoses with single stainless braided hose.

A 110 fire will fit, but you won't be able to fit a fart between the fender and the tyre. For a knobby, the fender must stay off. I agree with Fred. Fenderless needs a brace if you're going to ride it. HHB has one suitable.

You didn't ask, but I think the fat tyre is pretty ugly on the stock wheel. It just looks wrong, especially in concert with the stock back wheel. Switch to spokes and lace up an 18" in rim in the front and a 17" rim in the back. Add fat to front and 140/80 on back. Better look.

Forum member Beags64 spun up a batch of those and sold them to members a while back. They are just a nice billet piece to replace the stock stamped unit. They came in 3 and 6 hole versions. The picture above also has a HHB speedo delete plug mounted inside. I have another one on my black wheels too. It’s just a nice little touch to clean things up on the front end.

2437CA32-EF0E-472B-9FE5-5EC67F128FC5.jpeg
2D12033B-2BE6-49D8-A311-802852CDBE66.jpeg

Last edited:
What are y'all using for a back wheel on the trackers with cast wheel? How much width does the Radian swingarm buy you?

Hi marty,
about wide rear tires on XS650s;
a fatter than 5" wide rear tire will need it's sprocket spaced outwards so the drive chain will clear the tire.
Then the clutch sprocket must also move outwards to match. It's been done but it can be a can of worms to get it right.

Hopefully this one will get bumped from the shed to the shop this winter since my 75 is about done. It’s literally been a 10 year project. So embarrassing.

Back