Faux oil tank

Huck

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Got a question for the general population. I've been a member for a while now, mostly just lurking and learning, super site with knowledgeable people. I'm well into my build now, '82 Special transformed to a bobber, PMA, Pamco, re-phase, etc. I recently bought a TCBros fake oil tank kit. The covers on this thing really fit tight....by the time I put etch primer, regular primer, base coat and clear coat on I'll never get these covers back on. If I leave that area unpainted it will rust and I'll never get them off.:banghead: Just wonder how you guys have dealt with it. I see TCbros use these tanks on their builds.
Thanks for any help.

- - - I recently bought a TCBros fake oil tank kit. The covers on this thing really fit tight....by the time I put etch primer, regular primer, base coat and clear coat on I'll never get these covers back on. If I leave that area unpainted it will rust and I'll never get them off - - -

Hi Huck,
stretch the lids.
Put a curved steel dolly that just fits inside the lid in your vise.
Put the lid rim over the dolly.
Take a smooth faced hammer and go tappetytappetytap all round the rim to stretch it so it makes a nice easy clearance fit on the can.
The T C Bros catalog shows the lids held on with sheetmetal screws so it don't matter if you get a loose fit.
And don't sweat the hammer marks, they add to the handcrafted look.
Good luck with the build.

I bought that unit too - same concern -I ended up building my own, but my plan was going to be to cut the lip entirely off - would sure need to be careful but I think it would be doable to cut all lip off but 1/8 inch with cutting disk........the fine grind disk and then belt sander for last bit...........end up with a disk. Could keep it round if you were careful.

Then weld 4 or so small tabs - drill out for bolt - matching holes in cover - tap the tab - wallah

Mine ended up being totally different but I did attached the caps on mine that way- little bit of work to get it right - but I was careful and mine came out great - least I think it did :D

think I ended up with #10 or 12 machine domed head machine screws - small allens would have a neat look mabye

Back