1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Fazer Blue Spot Caliper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KevC, Nov 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Hi All
    Im new to this site but Travis asked if I could post pictures & details of my brake conversion.
    The disc is available new from Mikes XS or one of the european outlets such as www.xs650shop.de in Germany & bolts straight on, comes with an aluminium adaptor to offset the disc to the correct position and can be used with the original caliper if you want.
    The Fazer Blue spot caliper came from ebay and the mounting adaptor I made.
    This was CNC machined and I will post pics of the CNC co-ordinates etc... I have the drawings on Mastercam so can easily post any other dimensions anyone may need, just let me know
    Cheers Kev

Attached Files:

gggGary likes this.
  2. Hey Kev, thanks for posting! And welcome to the site! Great info there and it looks good. :thumbsup: How thick is that bracket?

3. inxs

inxs xx

- yes-nice profiles mate - any chance of getting the blue changed to yellow or something or changing the background colour to white so my tired old eyes can read them properly:thumbsup:

4. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Cheers Guys
    Can't remember the bracket thickness off the top of my head :doh:, so Ill measure it tomorrow. There is also a recess on the back to clear the fork leg mounting brackets & place the caliper in the correct postion to the disc, which is 4 or 5mm, Ill check tomorrow.
    Ill also try changing those colours for those with tired old eyes :thumbsup:

gggGary likes this.
  5. inxs

inxs xx

- thanx mate :bike:

gggGary likes this.
  6. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Especially for inxs
    here are those drawings in some colours that are easier on the eye:D

Attached Files:

gggGary likes this.
  7. Much better for us older folk ..... LOL Thanks Kev.

8. They were the same rotors I had originally used on the road racer .... great rotors ..:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

gggGary likes this.
  9. crash

crash XS650 Junkie

nice work ,welcome to the site:thumbsup:

10. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Hi All
    The caliper mount thickness is 15.5mm tho thats just because it was what we had at work, prob started at 16mm plate before machining flat. The recess is 4mm. So if you go the recess way you will need about 16mm to start because the recess will reduce it to 12mm.
    You could just use 12mm or 1/2" flat and use 4mm spacers, if you aint got machining facilities. Hope the picture below helps with what I mean :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

gggGary likes this.
  11. Thanks. That picture does help a lot. Good idea about using 1/2" stock and 4mm spacers for us people without a CNC mill to use whenever we need one. Don't you think we could get away with 5/16" or 3/8" material since that looks closer to what the stock mounting flanges are anyway?

12. crash

crash XS650 Junkie

do you have an cnc machine and do your own work ,or do you have someone else do it for you :shrug:

13. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Travis
    Being honest I just looked around the machine shop at various thickness plate we had :confused: and choose the 16mm, taking into account the 4mm recess at the back & the 2mm recess in the front (only decorative), which reduces it to about 10mm in places. So if you were to use spacers 3/8" should be ok :thumbsup:

crash
    I work as a CNC machinist/programmer and made the adaptor at work (in my own time of course :D ) Unfortunately I was recently made redundant so dont have any access to machinig equipement at mo. Just about got the adaptor done :D but was going to machine my initials into the recess, just ran out of time. Kept all the fixtures tho :thumbsup:

14. Have you machined any other cool parts for your motorcycle?

15. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Not really made too much for my XS, it came pretty well sorted with some one off stainless exhaust pipes, an extended, braced swingarm with concentric adjustment and most parts black powder coated. Ive replaced plenty of bits with stainless cos the bike lives outside in our notorious wet English weather :(

Attached Files:

gggGary likes this.
  16. Can't say that I've ever seen concentric adjusters on an XS!

17. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Its the only one Ive seen like it too, its braced in the standard XS way, but I have no idea who made it, damn cool tho :thumbsup:

18. crash

crash XS650 Junkie

nice pipes on the xs

19. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

Cheers crash, they are one off, one piece, twin walled stainless, nice sound too :D

20. KevC

KevC XS650 Addict

This set up really needs an 11mm bore master cylinder to give it a bit more feel, I know I can get one from Mikes XS but its 65 euros over here :(
    Nearly all master cylinders on ebay are just listed as wot bike they are from, so does anyone have a few ideas of wot bikes are running an 11mm bore master cylinder prefer one with an M10 banjo fitment too
    Cheers Kev

gggGary likes this.