February 2012 XSOTM voting and discussion

Who should be the February 2012 XS650 of the Month?

• 99orton

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • BigKazDaddy

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • CoastsideXS650

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Yama Chop

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Justin

Votes: 29 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
We now have 5 nominations for the February XSOTM chopper bobber contest.

The poll will close on February 29th, the winner will have their bike photo posted to the XS650 home page and be permanently added to the XSOTM picture album, not to mention the incredible bragging rights that go with such a feat.

Contestants; please feel free to post details, how you came to build an XS650 project, and MORE pictures, links to your build thread etc.. Let me know if you would like me to use a different picture for the voting.
Viewers and voters may also make comments and ask questions, Please keep all comments positive!

In order of accepted nomination here are the contestants.

99orton

full

Bigzakdaddy

full

CoastsideXS650

full

Yamaha_chop

full

justin

full

A fine selection of the builders art to choose from!

When I started this project I knew old school was what I was after...but a little deeper...i describe it more as "dropped outta school". As a kid, the easy rider, David Mann stuff spoke directly to my soul. Still does till this day...

Build threads bore me to pieces, I've got build pictures from day 1, they're mine...and they bore me to pieces. I'm just gonna throw a little information about my Xs...my way.

My bike is a totally custom 1 piece frame complimented with Harley Davidson forks. It sits about 4 inches from the ground when it's standing up straight and just short of 8 ft long. The rear tire is a Metzeler I ground the letters off with a cup brush, sanded smooth, and used krylon fusion to create the massive gangster white. The paint cracked beautifully leaving the look of a miserably dry rotted tire. The front is rockin all Harley factory hardware and wheel.

The seat is off of a 40's era Vespa. At a glance, I often hear...I bet that seat is miserable...honestly, it's deceiving, it's the most comfortable seat you can imagine. It's all bounce in the rough areas. The ventilation I think helps tremendously.

The tail light is an old gear I found in weazels garage, the lens I found at the canfield swap meet.

The battery box is a cigar box from history somewhere...the alone cigar company. Found that box fitting for my bike and my style. Most of the time...that's how I roll on it. Totally alone, one tattooed arm reaching 17 inches straight up, screaming down the highway 80 mph, earphones blaring some good ol zeppelin, into the south side of pittsburgh in search of cold pints...

Jap slap is the name given by the artist Matt "lar" Miller, this cool cat hand painted every stripe, word or character. I call his "art"on the bike "tattoos." It's just how it feels I guess. They're about the same price and they don't really come off and I can't stop wanting more...

The beat down red paint was 100% done with cheap high temp rattle cans, my variable speed buffer, 3m scratch pads, steel wool, oil leaks, dirty exhaust.

The bike runs like clockwork with the help of the mysterious blue Boyer. Bs34 carbs feed it's fire and custom straight pipes pound the ground with what it chooses not to keep around. I built this bike to ride, and that's exactly what happens...I truly love my bike guys....thanks soo much for the nomination, the continued support of the xs650, and the answer to any question I have that could possibly keep me from the wind in my face...

Attachments

• 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 414
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 343
I really didn't do a build thread but I did take a ton of pictures. I went into this blind having never attempted anything like this before. I won't bore you guys with them since I'm sure you guys know what they look like in different stages of rebuild already. But here is what I started with.

001-3.jpg

Got it all mocked up.

003-7-1.jpg

Then did the paint.

003-9.jpg

Reassembled

004-9-1.jpg

Now I have wrapped the pipes. In reality it will probably never be done. Thanks for looking.

001-13.jpg

Just realized I don't have any pictures of the left side of the bike. The shifter is on the left, it's a forward control I made. I'm not running a rear brake, so no brake pedal.

Awesome work guys. All the bikes show great craftsmanship. shows how much variety there can be within a genre. I am thinking that Justin's bike having a unifying theme that was consistent throughout the bike put him over the top this month.

Back