suntrakr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nutshell.
I'm upgrading front brake.
  • MikesXS drilled disc and 13mm Yammy MC
  • Pandamonium brake kit
  • Braided lines.
The question I have is that I've got access to 2x Brembo callipers for a good price. 65mm which is the required bolt pattern. Now everyone on here has been talking about GOLD calipers. These are BLACK. Is that purely cosmetic? I've attached pics. They look like in good order but seller not able to provide history. Am keen to get brakes working very very well so any feedback appreciated.
brembo1.jpg
brembo12.jpg
brembo3.jpg

The pandemonium kit is for 65mm spaced calipers and the MotoLanna bracket is for the 40 mm ones. I know with the 40mm brembo you are not able to use mikes drilled brake rotor disc because it’s too large in diameter. Trust me I didn’t know at first and had one on my front wheel. If you have spoked rims the hub can be modified to run two discs so you could maybe rig both calipers up. Once again check out my thread and it will help with at least the right side caliper.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-add-brembo-caliper-and-a-18-spoked-rim.56898/ maybe if you get the calipers in the pic you could add your process in the thread to so that others can see how it’s done with the 65 mm set up.

Last edited:
I'm asking if there's any other differences between a 65mm gold and black callipers or if it's just cosmetic only.

It is only cosmetic to my knowledge. Different models use different color brembos. Ducati usually sports the gold and Harley likes black. Of course I don’t know what model those come from but you can always cross reference the part number. I think I had a link on my thread for brembo parts.

I'm asking if there's any other differences between a 65mm gold and black callipers or if it's just cosmetic only.
Doesn't it have something to do with the size of the rotor? (The angle of the rotor to the fork.) I don't know and I am curious about this as well.

I think by the pictures they are the normal 65 mm caliper. Just confirm with the seller what they came off of and you can check it that way.

Back