female wrenchers

hdtech13

hdtech13
Reaction score
just curious as to how many females are on this site... especially ones who do their own wrenching??? I am a female gearhead myself. :D I graduated from MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) in Sept. 07 as a HD Tech. now low and behold im workin on my 1975 XS650 trying to get it ready for the upcoming spring! So hit me back ladies!

Well I'm not a lady but I'll let you know who is. Including you there are 3 female gear-heads here... Barb, emzdogz, and now you. I'm surprised they haven't seen your post and commented on it yet..

At least that's all I know about... Might be a couple others that haven't come forward about being a woman...

Anyway, Welcome to the site! :bike:

Just checking in---I've been building bikes for --wow-- way too long. My first real build was my second Lambretta scooter in high school, back when a Triumph Bonneville was the fastest thing you could get, unless you had the money for a Sportster.

It's great that there are other women around who build or work on bikes. I ride with a women's group, but my nickname is "Mechanic" because although we have "Point", "Wood-splitter", and others, I'm the only one who works on my own bikes.

Currently I am working on a 1980 BMW r80/7, and riding a 1977 XS"D" with a sidecar. She's my baby, and although the BSA's may go, and the Triumph may go, the XS will stay until I myself go!

Having said that, I abhor modern electrics, and have barely made my peace with turn signals.....I don't like modern bikes, which is one reason I've had the XS since 1978. Simplicity. Love it!

Anyway, yeah. Welcome, and please post a bunch---it get's strange being the only reality anchor in a sea of guys......:laugh:

(C'mon, Guys--you know I love ya!!) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Barb

- :doh:edit:shootme:...welcome HDT:cheers:...

- reality is a bitch Barb - oops, sorry, beach:D

- i see Anna pops in from time to time, but i dont think the main attraction is the bikes:wink2:

Last edited:
hey there, you 2, nice to meet you.
I'm Em in Tampa, FL.
No formal wrenching education, but I love to think about mechanical stuff and often fall asleep thinking about how I'm going to solve something.
(I mean fall asleep at night when I'm supposed to fall asleep, lol, not like fall asleep at my desk or anything)
Wish I'd have gone to wrench school when I was younger.
Or gotten into welding at an early age.
Just started a bit of welding last year when my Dad gave me his small Lincoln MIG+gas rig. My welds are just now getting neat looking.
I LOVE doing it though.
So, nice to meet ya HDTech and Barb.
:)
btw a friend of mine, female also, went to HD tech school several years ago and now has a groovy job with HD.
Sure wish I'd gotten more formal training...but whatever - its fun this way too!

Em
ps: and thanks to Travis and Inxs for being so sociable!
I'm liking this forum....

ooooh, ooooh----me much older! :D

Still work on bikes, though. And it's great to see some other ladies here! Finally! And dare I suggest dropping in at Her-Motorcycle.com? It's slower than around here, but specifically for women.....

Mainly, enjoy, and don't be afraid to try things......I'd love to weld. My son is a welder and tattoo artist, and I can't learn to weld because of having a defibrillator, but he does some welding for me. I'm jealous....I'd like to know how to weld. Of course, I'd also like to build a small still and make moonshine, and rustle a cow sometime. There are some across the road, and I could lead one away.....I'd take it back in the morning; I'd just like to be able to tell my granddaughters that I made moonshine and rustled cows.....:shrug:

Hey, I never claimed maturity----just being "chronologically challenged"....

Barb

now that would be handy - having a son who is a welder AND does tats.
No kids here..I sometimes regret it...

Maybe you could go up to some cow and just kinda mess up its fur, like they say "rustled its feathers" - that way you wouldn't actually have to steal it and you could still say you rustled it.

(sorry, terminal silliness here...)

A great BIG welcome to all the ladie's. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that if your riding an XS, you at least know the difference between a screwdriver & a hammer.
barb, ya gotta "live" a little, go & try some welding, & make sure you video it so I can see how that defibulater work's. Only kiddin', of course. A still for makin' 'shine or other refinement's, is not all that hard to do. Had one in the apartment at WPI,allway's a drink available, 24/7. But that wagon has long traveled by. Gave up drinkin' about 15 yrs. ago. Kinda got tired of waking up at the Gray Bar Inn.:wtf:

Hi Everyone,

Try welding? Umm, no. Just---no. That stupid thing has saved my life several dozen times, and I hate it each time! 500 volts, right out of the blue.....dang, that hurts! (But it keeps me alive...)

So perhaps this is a good place to mention one other fantasy I have: a group of women who work on bikes. A company called "Wenches With Wrenches"

Wouldn't that be neat? With all the women who ride now, it should have good market potential....and if I hadn't been in business for 18 years, I might seriously think about it. It would sure be a fun way to go broke in style....:doh:

So right now we provably have three women in the whole world who ride XS's. This is impossible---there have to be at least six or eight more....:laugh:

I hope..

Barb

WENCHE'S WITH WRENCH'S,like the name. On the 'still, the secret is in the coil's,number of coil's, how tight they are, length, ect. Too tight & it's all vapor, too lose, all water. It's been along time since I was in school, so I do not really remember the whole set-up.
There just has to be more than 3. Or even 6. Wouldn't it be cool if they all came to the site with the knowledge that would rival the best of 'em?

Back