Ferodo Friction Plates

YAM277

Yamaholic
Reaction score
I went with this clutch kit, here are some tips, before installing. Soak plates before installing( up to 24 hours and atleast 2 hours)
I used JASO MA rating on the oil (for wet clutches) 10W 40
Scotchbrite the steel plates before reinstalling, a little scuff grips better than a polish.
There are two different friction plates, that belong in the first and last position, the other 5 go in the middle, alternating between every other metal clutch plate.

Here is a link to an album I have with 87 pics :yikes:
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/2751/

Attachments

• IMG_69.jpg
    IMG_69.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_68.jpg
    IMG_68.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_67.jpg
    IMG_67.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_66.jpg
    IMG_66.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_65.jpg
    IMG_65.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_64.jpg
    IMG_64.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_78.jpg
    IMG_78.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_76.jpg
    IMG_76.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_75.jpg
    IMG_75.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_72.jpg
    IMG_72.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_71.jpg
    IMG_71.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_70.jpg
    IMG_70.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 333
I'm with Grizld1 on the Ferodo clutches. I had all kinds of clutch slipping with the 750 motor. Talked with MMM at 650 Central he recommended them and Forodo springs. No more clutch slip problems. Good choice. :thumbsup: I like them they work great.

Hey Scabber,
MMM is great to talk to! After finding out what I was riding, he recommended the Vesrah springs with my Ferodo's, can't wait to see how they work!

Do you remember the spring part number? I'm draining my oil right now getting ready to do my clutch. I purchased Allen bolts and I'm drilling out my clutch Phillip screws while I've got it apart.

Posted via Mobile

Vesrah SK-201, bought them off Merc at 650Central.com

Here's a post to my clutch album, I just posted. . .87 pics
full

It sure would be nice to find a bulk source for those springs. I already found the button head bolts and thin nuts.

Finding the thickness, spring weight, tensil stregnth, all for a spring? But it sure would be nice to find the specs on those springs! Paying a heavy cost to replace them through Mikes, $55 bucks!!!

Did you happen to compare them to the originals at all? Are they an exact match? Heavier? Same size (length)? With the bolts I got, I figure I can at least repair some hubs by cannibalizing some others for parts (good springs).

277 He is the man to give you the right information and loves to talk about the 650. After a few seasons on them they work good as new. I like the smother take off not grabby like some other brands. Some leave fiberglass in the oil I have heard. I slip the clutch slightly with the 17 and 32 sprockets and go. I think that is due to the outer disc being a different composition. That is the right oil for wet clutches. They are well worth the money and should last a long time. :thumbsup:

I did notice the new ones were longer, after 36 years I sure they lost some retention, then again we all know how Mike Xs can be of a little off, on match ups and OEM product knock offs? I have a picture here of the two, on one of my albums.

full

Original on the left, Mikes Xs on the right. Hope this will help you 5T? It would be nice to have a spring outlet, for these cush springs.

Hey Scabber, thanks for the feedback on the Ferodo's and correct oil, looking forward to getting everything back together.

I don't think those are the cush springs from the back of the hub. That's what I was talking about. That picture looks like the clutch pressure plate springs, the ones that fit on those Philips screws.

I find it interesting about the Ferodo's two different plates. Looks like cork composition for the outers, modern composition for the inners. The outers would be the ones in contact with the aluminum faces of the hub and pressure plate. The inners contacting steel.

The early 6-plate clutch mysteriously used 2 different plates. The inner 2 had an aluminum core, outers with a non-metallic core.

Would be nice to have some behind-the-scenes info...

2M, I was noticing in the Clymer Manual(pg.79) that they did mention 4 fiber-backed plates and 2 aluminum-backed plates on the originals, back when friction plates were 3.5mm. I guess there is something, to the design of Ferodo's set up!

My mistake 5T, those were pressure plate springs in the picture.
These are the old cush springs here
full

and the new cush springs here (just not in the same picture) sorry.
full

2M, I was noticing in the Clymer Manual(pg.79) that they did mention 4 fiber-backed plates and 2 aluminum-backed plates on the originals, back when friction plates were 3.5mm...

Yeah, that and the plate-separating o-rings threw me for a loop.
Never seen that kind of setup before.
After joining this fantastic forum, learned much more about the XS650 clutches, and developed some theories about that setup, but that's all they are. Just guesses.

I guess there is something, to the design of Ferodo's set up!

Maybe MMM could shed some light?

Hey 5T, will this pic of the cush spring retention help on your search for finding a replacement spring?
Sorry, it the pressure plate springs.

Attachments

• Motor05.jpg
    Motor05.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
When you have the clutch apart not only scuff up the steel plates but if you look closely you will see that one edge is slightly rounded, the other a bit sharp. Use some medium to coarse sand paper to break the sharp edge. Match the slightly rounded edge.
I think this sharp edge wears the basket more than it needs. As the clutch opens and closes this sharp edge digs in a bit. This can bind the movement a bit as well as the extra wear.
Leo

Back