1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Finally got it running! My 81 XS Build Thread [Pictures and Video]

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poorman9, Jul 12, 2011.

1. poorman9

poorman9 XS650 Addict

I made back from the trip. The bike ran great, with only minor problems that were fixable with the tools I brought. Before I left even I think the bottom end of the of oil delivery pipe was leaking. I fixed that up with some yamahbond at a campground in eastern oregon. Also my chain got surprisingly loose, by the end of the trip I had my wheel adjustment maxed out just to get it tight. Now I'm home with dirty carbs and my clutch slipping a bit.

All in all, a great experience. Here's some photos -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jefft

jefft XS650 Junkie

Where may I ask did you get the speedometer?
    jefft

Posted via Mobile

3. poorman9

poorman9 XS650 Addict

4. JP50515

JP50515 XS650 Junkie

where may I ask did you get that helmet? :)

5. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 XS650 Junkie

Where did you go and how far? It looks like a nice ride. The pictures are great too.

I was planning my trip to leave tomorrow, but it turns out that my bike had other plans. My charging system failed a couple of days ago. Lucky for me I wasn't on the road.

6. poorman9

poorman9 XS650 Addict

It's a biltwell - http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=2
    Comes with or without the pink shield lol.

We did just over 1000 miles there. Here's a map - http://goo.gl/maps/SG3yZ

My charging system died last year about this time, that's why I'm running the banshee PMA!

7. poorman9

poorman9 XS650 Addict

8. any link for that fender? or did you find it locally. great looking build and have a little riders envy of your trip!

9. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

if I may ask....were did you get the smile from?

10. poorman9

poorman9 XS650 Addict

I got it from a trailer shop, $14 for 180 segment, so you have enough to make two.

11. poorman9

poorman9 XS650 Addict

Hey Guys, just thought I'd leave this here for you

That's the old XS, looking gorgeous in slow motion.
    It's still running great and finally not popping out of gear anymore after I replaced that damn little spring on the gear selector claw. Cheers everybody! Enjoy the summer the riding season.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  12. yamahawarrior

yamahawarrior XS650 Enthusiast

how do those bars feel? i have a cafe racer with a long tank and clubman bars i am shorter and dont want to reach as far. what bars are they thanks

13. chopit25

chopit25 XS650 Addict

Sweet video!

14. poorman9

poorman9 XS650 Addict

Hey guys, been a couple years, thought I'd check back in, as I'm still riding the bike.

It's been running better then ever for the past year or so, finally worked out all the kinks. And I finally got rid of the rust. I'll let the photos speak for them selves. Thanks for all the help, during the dark years when I knew nothing about motorcycle. For anybody just starting out... You've come to right place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]