Finally, I found my Holy Grail Bike!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If that is all original it was designed to run on Leaded Gasoline, Yamaha didn't introduce hardened steel seats and stellite hardfacing on the valves until the 1973 TX650, this leaves the 70/71/and 72, with the softer valve faces and collets. I started a thread asking about this when I found a bottle of Lead sub. When members started to investigate further indeed the service manuals verified this. The information just came up but it might be something for those owners to think about adding the lead substitute to their gasoline for the added valve train lubrication. That is a beautiful bike, it makes me regret selling the XS1b I had.
my best,
Cousin Larry

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here it is....bought from the bike's original 75 year old owner.

A beautiful 1970 XS-1, all original, 15,000 original miles, always stored inside...a true gem.

I drove 15 hours round trip to get it and I couldn't be more happy with it!

Thank you again Larry, its found a loving home. :bike:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

20150307_101951-L.jpg

I'm the guy on the right, Larry's on the left.

20150307_123501-L.jpg

Making it's trip to it's new home.

This bike is going to look perfect next to the 1971 XS-1B that I bought from it's original 73 year old owner last year too (Thanks again Wayne!!).

Last edited:
great bike ...what a find !
Not sure I could live with that green though to be honest.
Spent over an hour reading Larrys blog ...very easy reading. Larry sure has the gift of words ...they just flow easily whilst the rest of us struggle to make any sentence readable. Incredible touring mileage for an old geezer ,well for anybody really.
Seeing the endless horizons of flat featureless deserts out there I'm sure glad for the ever changing lush green landscapes of the UK even if it is raining most of the time lol

A beautiful 1970 XS-1, all original, 15,000 original miles, always stored inside...a true gem.

20150307_101951-L.jpg

20150307_123501-L.jpg

This bike is going to look perfect next to the 1971 XS-1B that I bought from it's original 73 year old owner last year too (Thanks again Wayne!!).
I have a '72 XS 650 that's all stock front to back bought it from the original owner in '73 !! used it for transportation ...then less and less...sat in my shed for about 11 years ...cleaned

0118141514.jpg

My 71 all original bought off a showroom floor in Tokyo by my Dad, I was 16. I went with Dad to the airport to put oil and fuel into her and drive her home for him as he just had a hernia operation. I'll never forget that first take off, it was the biggest bike I and ever ridden!

Last edited:

20150307_101951-L.jpg

20150307_123501-L.jpg

Inspirational

Back