Finding my standard...

..... and a '75 isn't easy to find. I've only seen one for sale in my area in the past 10 years or so (I shoulda bought it, lol).

I had a '75 back in the 1970's and put a huge number of miles on it. In my view, the B-model had one of the most attractive paint schemes ever put on a stock motorcycle. I truly wish I still owned it.....:rolleyes:

1975_Yamaha-XS650B_Fairing-Cottage.JPG

1975_Yamaha-XS650B_fairing.JPG

Thanks MM. After reading through both your build threads I am a little apprehensive as to what I might find when looking deeper into this bike. There is no doubt that I got a killer deal considering all the parts that have been replaced and the condition of the physical appearance. I had specifically asked him about the head bearings and swingarm bushings and if they had been replaced/upgraded. He said they had not, but am curious why he didn't if he already had it stripped down bare and powdercoated all those items. I think I am going to have to take my time and go over this thoroughly before I put it on the road. Unfortunately this will be a slow process for me. I wasn't ready for another project but this was a case of being the right place at the right time.

Well, stick at it Willis - you'll get there and have a fantastic machine to ride!

Pete

Yes, I don't understand not doing at least the steering bearings. I've never run across a good set of the original ball style yet. The races are always dented and dinged up.

I am already planning on changing the handlebars and front brake line anyway, so I will likely take that opportunity to have a look and see what's in there.

Background sounds: Tiny greasy bell like 'tink' sounds as the balls individually fall onto your lift.

The last couple steering bearing kits I've installed were the AllBalls brand. I like them because they include additional grease seals. The kit I put in my '78 many years ago was a different brand and didn't have the additional seals. It relies solely on the original rubber ring type seal to keep the grease in the neck at the bottom, and that seal alone doesn't do a very good job. Grease is constantly oozing out the bottom of the neck. Using the additional seal from the AllBalls kit, along with the original rubber ring seal, works much better.

The AllBalls kit comes with 2 grease seals, and they're both the same. You don't need to even use one at the top. Gravity doesn't allow the grease to constantly ooze out up there. This is good for me because I now have an extra seal I can put in the '78 some day.

spE6X6h.jpg

A little update... I guess this can be considered my build thread now, even though it will probably be more like a clean up thread. First item on my agenda is addressing the handlebars. It has a new set of replica roto-tillers now with wiring run internally as they are supposed to on the 75. Great condition, but the ergonomics are TERRIBLE. I ordered a set of Emgo CB750 replacement bars. They have a nice stance to them but the bigger draw was they are already drilled for internal wiring. I want to keep this as clean as possible so the internal wiring is a huge plus for me. Not my first time plumbing inside the bars so once I labelled and identified where all the wiring from the headlight bucket went, I had the wires pulled out and ran back through the new bars in about 30 minutes. Since I've got the bar area all disconnected anyway, I am lubing up all the cables. I know they are new but want to be sure they are lubed prior to reassembly, especially since there is an existing clutch issue yet to address. I also took the opportunity to remove the top tree, and was happily surprised to find that the neck bearings have in fact already been upgraded to timken style! BIG WIN !!! I still have to finish reconnecting the wires in the headlight bucket then I can button the front end back up and finish the bar and cable installation. I also checked the swingarm bushings. They appear to be the originals, but fortunately there is no play in them so I will leave that alone until it needs addressing.

Up next... I found and ordered a replacement dash cover to replace the shit-brown one on it now. Also ordered a set of Mike's Commando mufflers to swap out. Also hope to get some time in this weekend to clean up some of the oxidation on the motor since i have the tank off and can have better access to the cases. Further on the horizon is adjusting the carbs and addressing the clutch issues.

How about a grease nipple on the neck so you can keep the new bearings greased, did they do that? It's not a pressing, immediate need, but if you pull it apart to lube the bearings some day, add the grease nipple and you'll never have to do that disassembly job again. On a Standard, it'll need to go on the right side because of the steering lock on the left. On a Special with the top tree lock, it can go on either side but I chose the left on the couple I've done because it gave the best cable and wiring clearance.

cqSClkA.jpg

I have to admit though, since my neck is pumped full of grease, that's why I get the grease oozing out the bottom so much, lol.

Nope, no grease fitting mod done. Just how does pumping grease in that location get up to the bearings? Isn't there a pretty significant void in the neck area?

Yes, it takes lots of grease (lots of grease gun pumping) to initially fill the neck. You can fill some of the void with a "grease saver", plastic or vinyl tubing slipped on the neck .....

7mRRBPS.jpg

But there are a couple issues with the Standard. The neck lock sticks inside the neck some so the "grease saver" tube won't fit past it. You can only put half as tall of a "grease saver" on a Standard", lol. Also, the steering stem has a hole in the side for the lock to engage, and the bottom of the stem tube in the lower yoke is open. You have to plug that bottom hole or all the grease you're pumping in would just fall out the bottom. The solution is pretty simple though, just pound an old wine bottle cork up into the bottom of the stem.

The ol cork in the bung hole trick eh ??? Sorry I couldn't resist. I will probably skip this mod for now but may reconsider next time i need to repack the bearings. I'll get some pics up this weekend MailMan. I usually go home from work on my lunch breaks since i'm just 10 minutes away. I spend about 10 minutes eating and then another 30 minutes working on little things when I can before I go back to work. Pictures are an afterthought when I have such a short window to work. Weekends are usually pretty busy with family life, but I see a block freeing up on Saturday after my yardwork.

Finally, a productive day in the shop. The wife took the kids out school shopping so I was able to put a solid 7 hrs in the workshop today!!!! I started out with cleaning up the motor and the oxidation/dirt from sitting so long. This bike really is in remarkable condition with all the powder coating that was done before I took possession. A little before/after of the motor cleanup. All I used was scotch bright pads and a little blue magic.
E7979C74-EF6F-4ECB-AC6B-CC52C038FD6B.jpeg E63B2A65-CEE9-44A7-8592-B02F4B43ACD3.jpeg

Next I moved on to finishing installing the CB750 bars. I had already pulled the wiring through the bars earlier this week. So now I just had to mount and hookup the wiring in the headlight. I still detest all the wiring in the headlight bucket, but fortunately the PO had already installed a new harness so everything was plug and play. I made sure to make good notes when disconnecting it all earlier. The master cylinder will need repainted some day. The paint has all been eaten by fluid. I’ll save that job for when I upgrade to stainless lines. Oh, and I also installed the new dash cover from HVC CYCLES and replaced hardware with new stainless Allen bolts.
42B29B80-6AEA-410F-9B5F-9D058F260F89.jpeg A880DE2A-34A6-4214-AC8E-677009FBF3FB.jpeg

Finally, I decided to have a look under the LH engine cover to start addressing the clutch issues. First off, I noticed when swapping bars and lubing cables, I noticed the PO had over tightened the clutch lever pivot bolt making the lever really hard to pull. Everything looked good under the cover at first.
55E919D8-DA00-49F2-B910-6BA03C8D8C63.jpeg
But then I put the cover on the workbench and noticed the worm gear housing screws were loose. Then upon opening the worm gear I found it completely dry. Not a spec of grease other than a dab holding the ball in.
A7154592-BA0C-4656-8600-DE02E0B0D180.jpeg
I dont know if they got lazy and slapped it back together and forgot or what??? I greased her well and tightened everything up and seems to be working mutch better. I was also happy to find that it is already running a 1pc pushrod and also has fresh brushes. After all this I gave her a little bath to get all the grease and oxidation dust off.
19ACAA31-7283-4813-BCC4-7C93781F284B.jpeg 25261B03-5064-43AB-B5F7-96517909EE23.jpeg

Sorry if this all ran together, but I am pretty stoked with this bike. My new commando pipes should be in next week. I still have a few small items to address but I can attack those on my lunch break intervals. I still am in disbelief. I don’t think I ever mentioned prior, but I picked this gem up for a mere one thousand bucks. The deals are out there fellas!! It just pays to be patient and wait for the right deal.

First off, thanks for the pics! :D Man Willis, that bike is really clean. I look forward to seeing it with your new Commando pipes. It’s gonna be a looker!
How did you wind up fastening the new dash plate?
And $1000......for that nice bike!? Oh man, now I am jealous!
Well done! :)

For the dash I bough some Loctite gel superglue. I had a little trouble with it, so the jury is still out. Figured I’d let it cure overnight and go from there. Here’s before and after pics without the gauge rubbers installed.
2248545F-4B9B-449F-B3D1-80D7768EF1D5.jpeg E6396182-3AC9-415E-AECF-DADCE409D67E.jpeg

I really need to go over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb though. I found several loose fasteners as well as a missing one for the battery box. I know this guy was mid-restoration, but I’m thinking he slapped some of it together to sell it quick. Either way it was still a smokin deal. I was quick drawl McGraw when I saw the CL list posted. He was asking $1150. I figured what the hell and made my offer knowing full well I was ok with his asking price

Back