Finding my standard...

That should do just fine. As you've discovered, drilling these isn't all that hard. Time consuming yes, but actually drilling the holes isn't that difficult. How did you get that nice final satin finish on the discs?

Put a fork in it, this one is done!
732F2EC4-C6E8-4232-84B0-74039DB1D0B4.jpeg
I finished it off with some leftover Duplicolor caliper paint this morning. I’ll give it time to harden up before I bolt it back together though.

5T, the final finish was just to clean it up a bit more. It was just 220 grit in my orbital palm sander. I had thought about sanding it down a bit more with finer grit, but it’s just going to glaze over eventually anyway. It was pretty easy to drill. My new press was running about 450rmp. I just invested in a couple nice cobalt bits. I started by just dimpling with 3/16 and then coming back around to drill them out. But I ended up bending my 3/16 bit though when I was almost done after it punched through and grabbed the rotor on the way back out. Maybe I should have used a clamp? I just finished up not pre drilling and skipped straight to the 1/4 bit. It’s a lot like painting. The most important part is putting in detail to the prep work and laying it out and punching your hole marks straight. Next time will be a lot easier.

I don't clamp my discs down when I drill them. I've had no issues ..... yet, lol. For your "next time", I'll make a couple suggestions and explain some of the key points to this operation. First, your hole pattern should cover the whole swept area of the disc, the width or section of disc that the pads scrape against. Second, the edges of the holes in one row should meet or overlap into the edges of the holes in the next. This insures 100% of the swept area gets covered by holes. Your pattern appears to meet the second requirement, the first, not so much.

My suggestions would be to maybe add a third hole on top of your 2 hole rows so that line reaches out further. Then you could lower your current 3 hole rows a bit so they reach in more. But, this may throw off the hole overlap you're after. That could be solved by just lowering every other lower 3 hole line.

Here's the pattern I use. Notice how the holes reach out and in enough to cover pretty much the whole swept area of the disc .....

full

Slow and steady wins the race, right? I finally spent a few hrs tinkering today after spending a few hours cleaning the garage. I started by working on my shop. I’ve had a 13’ pallet in my garage for a few months since we got a shuffleboard delivered for our basement. I cut it down a little and hoisted it up above my workbench to create a whole new level of storage. It’s not done yet though. It was heavy as shit by myself. Still need a few touches before it is usable. I have 9’ ceilings but you can’t really tell because the garage door is open.
113D30B3-D84E-4889-86E3-1DADA083F448.jpeg

Once I finished cleaning that mess up I worked on getting my front end back together. I finished rebuilding the forks a few weeks ago so today I got everything back on. Rebuilt forks, new fork gaitors, drilled and repainted rotor, front fender, brake line and rebuilt caliper. Looking good!

Then I turned my attention to the headlight bucket wiring. Ever since I swapped bars and ran the wiring internally, the wires gave just been dangling. So I busted out my wiring kit with crimpers and put some new bullet ends on the wires. Took a while to sort out where everything goes, but I’m pretty certain I got it all done. The only thing left is the gauge lights in my speedo and tach and of course to test it all. Well then I’m sure I’ll get to redo it again... lol. I didn’t get any more pictures as I was wooped tonight.

Getting to the point where I get to whip out some of my goodies I’ve got stashed away. It’s shaping up nicely, but I need to stay on the ball to get her done by spring!!!!

Last edited:
That pallet was very heavy. I cut off most of the cross boards to cut weight to get it up there. I need at minimum one more support for the center. I need to find the roof trusses so I can put a drop support in. Then I need to decide on the decking. Need to find something lightweight but supportive. It’s 30” deep so there is a lot of room up there.

Oh yeah, gonna need more shop lights under that shelf too. It definitely blocks what little light I have over my workbench.

Good job! Yeah a day to clean the shop now and then, finish up two or three backburner, nice to have, type projects, when the clutter rises to Oh crap I can't move levels! You need to take a :"front of the bike" shot for us.

Last edited:
Darn Nice looking XS willis! Those handlebars have a very vintage look. The pic with the tanks on the wall below stuff had me cringe because I know in my garage thered be a dent coming somehow , Put those tanks up high on your new shelf! Lol
:thumbsup:

That is just temporary. The shelves I had open at the moment were just too full so I just threw a screw in the wall to hang them for a few days. I know exactly what you mean though. I like the bars too. I started with some Triumph western bends, but they were not quite right. They didn't quite fit the risers like I wanted. Those #10 tracker bend bars feel pretty comfortable and fit the look I was after.

One step forward, two steps back. I started the day by filling and bleeding my front brake. It went amazingly easy and quick... and no leaks! I was a little worried about leaks given my 2pc braided line is actually 4 piece when you include the steel lines. That makes 6 possible locations for leaks. But all is good there.

Then I moved on to secure my gauges. This was the last piece to button up the front end. Not much to write about there, it was just a little tough getting my sausage fingers in that tight space to put the little pins in. Got it done though and looks great. So the front end is all together now except for adding the gauge lighting. Shouldn’t be bad though, just need some new bulbs.

So with that done, I just started checking everything over real well before I button it up. I noticed the front turn signals were still loose. As I was tightening the right signal up, I cranked just a little too hard and snapped off the mount bolt. I wasn’t able to get it out, so tomorrow I’ll grab a left hand drill bit and have at it. No more easy outs for me!!! Now that I’m pissed I decided to move on. Let’s test fit my xs2 baseball bat mufflers!!! Grab them out of the box only to realize they won’t fit my factory 75 headers. Double fuck. Well I have a new pair of Mikes single wall pipes in the shed on the tracker, so I robbed them. The mufflers fit perfect. Only problem is they sit right up against the bottom shock mount. I fiddled with it a little and decided to stop before I ding the mufflers. So back in the box and in the shelf for another day. I threw on my Cone mini megs just to feel some completion to the day. I gotta say, I kinda like them on there. Not sure if they will stay.

that’s it for today. I have some parts coming in this week to get me to the next step. Also I sent my carbs out to Rick West at Oldskoolcarbs for a full rebuild. He also had the vapor blasted too, should be extra shiny!!! Hope to have those next week too. Sorry I was a little too frustrated for pictures today, but I did snap one as I closed up shop with the mini megaphones mocked up.
CC655AF2-3A81-480A-B354-E59D9B7DE336.jpeg 441FAF64-D708-4532-AD57-A3C797189FCE.jpeg

One step forward, two steps back. I started the day by filling and bleeding my front brake. It went amazingly easy and quick... and no leaks! I was a little worried about leaks given my 2pc braided line is actually 4 piece when you include the steel lines. That makes 6 possible locations for leaks. But all is good there.

Then I moved on to secure my gauges. This was the last piece to button up the front end. Not much to write about there, it was just a little tough getting my sausage fingers in that tight space to put the little pins in. Got it done though and looks great. So the front end is all together now except for adding the gauge lighting. Shouldn’t be bad though, just need some new bulbs.

So with that done, I just started checking everything over real well before I button it up. I noticed the front turn signals were still loose. As I was tightening the right signal up, I cranked just a little too hard and snapped off the mount bolt. I wasn’t able to get it out, so tomorrow I’ll grab a left hand drill bit and have at it. No more easy outs for me!!! Now that I’m pissed I decided to move on. Let’s test fit my xs2 baseball bat mufflers!!! Grab them out of the box only to realize they won’t fit my factory 75 headers. Double fuck. Well I have a new pair of Mikes single wall pipes in the shed on the tracker, so I robbed them. The mufflers fit perfect. Only problem is they sit right up against the bottom shock mount. I fiddled with it a little and decided to stop before I ding the mufflers. So back in the box and in the shelf for another day. I threw on my Cone mini megs just to feel some completion to the day. I gotta say, I kinda like them on there. Not sure if they will stay.

that’s it for today. I have some parts coming in this week to get me to the next step. Also I sent my carbs out to Rick West at Oldskoolcarbs for a full rebuild. He also had the vapor blasted too, should be extra shiny!!! Hope to have those next week too. Sorry I was a little too frustrated for pictures today, but I did snap one as I closed up shop with the mini megaphones mocked up.
View attachment 161486 View attachment 161487

Sorry you had a frustrating day, I’m sure we can all relate to days like that. I have to say though your bike is looking just brilliant! I’m torn now, I’ve been wanting to see those baseball bats on your bike, but those little megaphones look pretty tough! Good luck buddy!

Well, just like the Commando’s, I’m sure with enough fiddling they will work. They are pretty heavy though so I’ll have to be sure to secure them well. I will undoubtedly try the little megs though. I’ve had them several years not and never heard them. They will be loud though!

I have some big additions coming up that I’m very excited about. I’ve made a few big purchases that I haven’t revealed yet but I’m ready to let the cat out of bag. Last summer I saw a fully restored factory correct Star Black tank on eBay. It had been professionally painted and lined by a reputable painter about 2hrs away from me. He advertises in some big name magazines and known for factory correct restoration paintwork. The seller had it painted six years ago but never installed it. I ponied up and pulled the trigger. Then a few months back I contacted the painter and sent him a straight set of side covers to match. They are immaculate and will really set this bike apart. I’ve got some seals and rubber bits coming this week that will allow me to finish the tank cap and petcock rebuilds. I also bought a nice set of Halcyon bar end mirrors about the same time I got the xs2 mufflers that you may have noticed in some recent pictures. The last big purchase to come is a custom seat. It will be a bit more low profile but will have a tuck and roll theme similar to the xs2. I’ve just got to come up with a few more dollars to pay for it.

I’m really going to have to carve out some shop time here soon to get thing moving. It was 60 degrees here today so it really teased and inspired me to get this shit done.

Well, just like the Commando’s, I’m sure with enough fiddling they will work. They are pretty heavy though so I’ll have to be sure to secure them well. I will undoubtedly try the little megs though. I’ve had them several years not and never heard them. They will be loud though!

I have some big additions coming up that I’m very excited about. I’ve made a few big purchases that I haven’t revealed yet but I’m ready to let the cat out of bag. Last summer I saw a fully restored factory correct Star Black tank on eBay. It had been professionally painted and lined by a reputable painter about 2hrs away from me. He advertises in some big name magazines and known for factory correct restoration paintwork. The seller had it painted six years ago but never installed it. I ponied up and pulled the trigger. Then a few months back I contacted the painter and sent him a straight set of side covers to match. They are immaculate and will really set this bike apart. I’ve got some seals and rubber bits coming this week that will allow me to finish the tank cap and petcock rebuilds. I also bought a nice set of Halcyon bar end mirrors about the same time I got the xs2 mufflers that you may have noticed in some recent pictures. The last big purchase to come is a custom seat. It will be a bit more low profile but will have a tuck and roll theme similar to the xs2.

I’m really going to have to carve out some shop time here soon to get thing moving. It was 60 degrees here today so it really teased and inspired me to get this shit done.

Dang man! You’re on a roll, I can’t wait to see your new tins! :thumbsup:

I had the day off work today, had to drive Miss Daisy all over town for appointments. But I got a couple free hours in the shop this afternoon. I test fitted the xs2 mufflers again, but I am just not sure they will work with these headers. I may have to come up with plan B. In the meantime I decided to move forward with mounting the Cone mufflers. I still need to finish up the P-clamps to the bottom frame mount, but that shouldn’t be too hard. So I focused on making some muffler hanger brackets. I picked up a big piece of 3”w x 3’L x 3/16” plate steel at the local farm store. I started off with the factory passenger peg/muffler hanger for reference. It was the right height but the mount holes were no good. So I grabbed some scrap cardboard and tried a few shapes. Once I had a nice profile I cut out the template.
A3CDD4B9-6649-4DEC-B243-84027F25A4B5.jpeg
Next I transferred the pattern to the steel and cut it out with a 4” grinder and trimmed it up on my scroll saw. Chucked up the drill press for the mount hole.
A0E176B7-24C5-4B4D-A114-D92F0951FF10.jpeg

measured up and marked the area to cutout for the bolt to the muffler. I just made several small holes and rough cut it on the scroll saw again. I really need some new blades but it made the cuts ok.
DADB6464-CE67-4557-961C-66389B142EA0.jpeg E92A236B-0C59-40FE-9E5A-2D5368AD8D23.jpeg
then came the file work. Smoothed it all out with hand files and its looking good. I will probably still drill out some relief in the center yet to mimic the stock brackets. I’ve also got some other passenger pegs off my 78 that I cut the brackets off years ago, so I can still have them welded back on here if I want also.
603FF0C4-EAB8-45AC-8D52-1D0FC403F239.jpeg B95362AC-3028-4C51-86AD-3A31ECEB256B.jpeg

As soon as I said it I had to go do it. I think they look better with the reliefs. Not bad considering my crude tools. Scroll saw, 4” grinder, drill press and a couple hand files. Now I just need to make a couple bars for inside the muffler bracket and drill and tap a couple holes to attach the bracket.
7B1154B6-769E-4CA5-ACD6-1D4852669C86.jpeg 87A9A9F5-F87A-473B-B579-70A6EB1FDCB5.jpeg

As an afterthought, I just realized that I’m going to need to figure out a bump stop for the center stand so I don’t ding up my mufflers. Maybe I can fab a secondary bracket to attach to the left bracket that bends down underneath. I’m going to have to put some thought into that.

Back