Finding the right Fuel Tank

KLVN

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've newish member here from Melbourne, Australia, first time posting. I'm an owner of a 1973 TX650 which was imported from the USA by the previous owner and I'm in the midst of restoring it to a cafe racer.

Unfortunately the bike came with a fuel tank that doesn't seem to fit on the frame. The tank wasn't fitted when delivered and is too narrow to fit onto the frame, even when the rubber mounts are removed. I believe the tank is from a Special as the fuel cap is off set to the right.

Question is, is the Standard tank the one I need and will either type fit? (I believe there are two types)

Thanks for your help! :)

Standard and Special tanks are interchangeable; tunnel width is the same. There were of course no Specials in 1973, and the tank design was different from 1974 and forward; in addition to shape and nonlocking alloy gas cap on 70-73 tanks, length from front mounting pads to the center of the mounting hole at the rear was different, although, again, tunnel width stayed the same. Any XS650 tank from 1970-73 will fit your frame without modification.

That does seem odd, I have found the early 70-73 tanks are a bit narrower in the tunnel than the later tanks of all stripes. Perhaps your tank isn't XS650 but from an XS400 or some such? What the griz says is true also, the early tanks are slightly longer. generally you can stuff any XS650 tank on any year frame with a bit of shoving. the late TCI ignition coils are bigger, the late tanks have a cavity to deal with that. 70-72 tanks are narrow at the outside rear to match their narrow seats.

Hi KLVN and welcome,
like they say, any '70 through '73 tank will fit on a '73 frame.
Looks like the tank you got ain't the right one.
Lotsa Yamaha tanks from different models are similar looking and very nearly fit.
Your PO or even his PO may have never tried the tank on the bike.
While you are checking what fits and what don't, check your bike's frame and engine serial letters & numbers against Skull's excellent ID chart.
Your '73 may not be one either, eh?

Post some pics of the tank from the top and bottom.

Only way we are really going to be able to help.

73 Was a one year only tank but an earlier 70-72 will fit, If not the early Xs650 guys will correct me.

Hi there
Peter here from Australia
If you are bobbing it do you really need a standard tank ?
If you are changing things can I buy the gauges,chain guard, side covers,rear guard for my restoring project
Thank you in advance
Peter
New Australia

Thanks for the help guys! The amount of knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me!

I'm certain that it's a '73 model, the serial number from memory is S650-2... The tank I'm not sure of its origin, but sure does look like an XS tank. My camera isn't working atm otherwise I would post pictures.

The seller of the bike ended up giving my two other tanks, neither of which were XS tanks, but one of which looked pretty sweet so I'm in the process of making it fit :D Will post up pictures when it's done, maybe someone will be able to identify what model the tank is from :D

Back