Fire, wont sart anymore.

Kerianbh

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

Here is the deal, I got an xs650 1978,
it was running perfect last season until one day on the road the engine just stopped running.
That day (was on a hill) I tried to start it with compression(downhill), the engine at a certaine speed a started, but died 2 sec after. When I tried kickstarting it, the engine turns, I hear it making an explosion but doenst start.
I feel it is the igition coils,
what do you guys think? Any test you'd recommend?
If i was unclear on certain points let me know, and i could probably post a short video monday to show the situation..
Thanks for your time!
Kerian

It aint got no gas. (said in my best slingblade voice) Sorry couldnt help myself, check all of the obvious things first, gas, kill switch position, grounds etc. If you suspect the coil, then take one plug at a time and ground it against the engine, then turn the motor over and see if you have spark, then do the same for the other plug. If no spark, then move on to testing the coil. Do these things first then report back to us.

whats your battery voltage? how old is it? is the bike charging? sounds like dead battery to me.
Charge up your battery, and see if it starts. when it does start, rev the motor from idle, and see if the headlight gets brighter. that's not the correct way to check charging, but it is a quick easy test. there is a lot more involved.

Ok, so I just came back from my bike.
-Changed the Ignition coils, nothing changed.
-Tested the battery: 12.49 volts.
-The spark plugs were tested and sparks(both of them).
-Took out my carbs to bring them home to clean them.
-Found out the the filter for the left carb is busted...
-Changing the filter tomorrow and carb cleaning time, I'll follow up!

P.s. Their was gas in the tank haha

Hey there,
Cleaned up my carbs, put them back on the engine.
I Get big backfires from the exhaust and sometimes from the carbs.
Still doens't start..
Could it be my Valves?
What do you think?

Kerian

You may have spark, but firing at the wrong time. You may have both cylinders firing on the exhaust stroke. Swap over the plug leads from each cylinder to the other cylinder. If it works, you can reverse the points wiring and put the plug leads back to normal.

Back