First bike build new member

Chienkramer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone just bought my first bike...... And it's an xs650!!!! Been in love with this bike since the first time I seen one, I hunted all summer with a low budget and almost gave up but I found one!!! The seller was pretty un clear on the details of mod's done to the bike and was wondering if anyone could help point out different bike parts on it and what frame changes do I have here? I'm starting to dig into it with intent of a rat style bobber outcome. Hopefully have it ready for the road next summer. I have a lot of ideas and I'm very excited, let me know what yah think:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 249
Well it looks like he stripped almost everything stock off it. Looks like he raked the front end. (i'm assuming that's the purple i'm seeing in front of the tank. Some type of paint/sealer for the weld) Which means the forks aren't stock either unless they grew in 1979 or i'm looking at this all wrong ha. I had a 77' and an 81' and neither had a swingarm that looked like that....couldn't tell ya what its off tho. Besides that the big black "sidepanels" that are covering the battery and where the airbox used to be is "custom" as well. So are the foward controls. You got the stock headers on there though, with some fish tail tips welded on. Oh and don't forget that custom kickstand! ha. Nice find though! Should be great for a project! Just the type of bike I like seeing get chopped up and made new!

Cool thanks 650skull! I have another question haven't run across it on a diff thread yet....my batt is toast and need a new one, the batt is 12v 14 a.h (what it calls for in the Manual) I'm wondering if I can get away with a 12 a.h batt as the price difference from what I ve seen is enough to make curious... The bike shall have minimal electronics I.e head,turn,brake lights and electric start.... The electric start my be the kicker but I believe that only concerns c.c.a of the batt... Could I run a 12a.h or does anyone know where to get a cheap 14a.h'er?!? Preferably in Canada or reasonable shipping to.... Thanks

those forks look like 6 over, but maybe my eyes are playing a trick on me and id get that top engine mount on your bike. anyone else think that theres alot of room between the top of the engine and the frame?

the horizontal stay, where the motor mount bolts onto above the motor, has been removed.

To be honest the bike looks to be a death trap

Rear fender looks like a Harley Bagger front fender put on backwards. Interesting bike and I like the rake but agree a top motor mount would be first on my list.
I suppose you could count chain links to see if the swingarm is different/longer than stock.

Some updates.. Got it running adjusted points and timed.. Rebuilt carbs(they were nasty!!)had a hell of a time finding 90 degree air filters to clear the battbox( still waiting although, they are back ordered with supplier) started the wiring(still deciding on signal lights) and have my seat mount/box cover fab'd up... Should be good for a test ride around the block next week:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 163
I'm having a hard time attaching more then one photo... I'll choose several photos and hit upload but only the first image attaches...little help anyone?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 161
I've experienced multiple image failure if the images exceed the posted size limit. The server will downscale large images, but maybe it hiccups if more than 1???

Thanks ill try converting to a lower resolution

I'm starting to think the back end of the frame is a different model/bike doesn't look like any other xs' on here, dimensions look off and rear master and shift linkage mounting sections of the frame look very different...I believe someone else said the swing arm looks longer

Back