First build - 1983 xs650 gravel bike

Stardust83

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to all. I have read much on this site and look forward to my build. I bought this bike about 4 years ago for my retirement. I retired in April and I am ready to start this project.

My starting point:

full

I bought a pair of spoked wheels from a 1976 xs650 and have put them on; next step strip the rest of the stuff the PO did not take off. BTW, bike was last registered in 1986 and 1 previous owner with 60,000 km on the motor.

So my plan is to increase rear shock length to 350 mm or 13.78 inches, add motolana aluminium swingarm, and use Joe Minton mods as guideline to get a running bike. Planning on top end rebuild.

I will update as I go along, initially much to do just to get organized. I am building this motorcycle at a DIY shop in Toronto, Moto Revere. I live in Hamilton and go by public transit, my current motorcycle 2003 Triumph Speed Triple or by car so I have few distractions.

Welcome to the forum Stardust 83. Another Ontarian!
Have fun with your build!

Yes, welcome to the forum, another Ontarian on this board!

You must have found the last pair of wires in Ontario.
Can you expand on what you mean by a "gravel" bike?

You must have found the last pair of wires in Ontario.
Can you expand on what you mean by a "gravel" bike?

I bought the wire wheels from someone in Ottawa about 3 years ago. Gravel bike - country roads, dirt or gravel and maybe a little on the grassy stuff, not aiming this bike into the mud. I want an everyday rider that I can ride for many years. Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the wire wheels from someone in Ottawa about 3 years ago. Gravel bike - country roads, dirt or gravel and maybe a little on the grassy stuff, not aiming this bike into the mud. I want an everyday rider that I can ride for many years. Thanks for the welcome.
Hi Stardust and welcome,
OK then, first thing is to put the pig on a diet.
Aluminum fenders & gas tank, solo seat, etc. 17/36 sprocket ratio? 520 instead of 530 chain & sprockets?
And grippy tires. Although the better the tire is on gravel the faster it wears away on pavement.

Welcome Stardust, and congrats on your retirement. Join the crowd, as there are a number of us retirees here at the site.
Best of luck with the interesting build. I have a gravel bike myself, a 1980 XS650; it doubles as a winter rat.

Hi Stardust and welcome,
OK then, first thing is to put the pig on a diet.
Aluminum fenders & gas tank, solo seat, etc. 17/36 sprocket ratio? 520 instead of 530 chain & sprockets?
And grippy tires. Although the better the tire is on gravel the faster it wears away on pavement.

thanks for the feedback fredintoon, I will keep those in mind.

Welcome Stardust, and congrats on your retirement. Join the crowd, as there are a number of us retirees here at the site.
Best of luck with the interesting build. I have a gravel bike myself, a 1980 XS650; it doubles as a winter rat.

thanks for the welcome Yamadude - winter rat... are you running spiked tires?

thanks for the welcome Yamadude - winter rat... are you running spiked tires?
Spiked tires.....interesting idea. No, just got some nice street tires, and I use this particular bike on those winter days when there is salt on the roads, but it is warm enough to ride. New York State also has lots of gravel/dirt roads to ride on and kick up some dust !

I got a few things done this week. Stripped off remaining parts, gave the frame a power wash, identified a few tabs on the frame that can go and marked them with a grease pencil. I put on my cast wheels as the next step is to break down spoked rims - new parts on the way. I spent some time going through my boxes of parts and took items that will not be used home.

I did a compression test on the engine - both sides at 120; very pleased since the engine hasn't moved since 1986. Planning for top end build and parts to order.

If you have any Canadian parts or motorcycle shops that are xs650 friendly let me know; I am trying to save a little bit of money on shipping from the U.S.A.

Hey Stardust83, Re: parts, www.xs650direct.com is the Canadian sister site to Mikes XS in the States.

Some of their parts are good, some suspect and some you just don't want to use.
I have read several times that their rubber parts quality is poor and only last a year or two. Also just recently read in a post by retiredgentleman that their carb throttle shaft seals only lasted a year before they started leaking again. He found they are still available OEM.

Before ordering anything from them, do a little searching to see if anyone has posted any experience with the part you are considering.
If you can't find anything with that search, post a question and you'll get lot's of answers. This is an amazingly helpful group.

Edit: Any order over $150 from them is free shipping and it's not hard to build up an order to that much. Even if you place a lower value order your cost for them to ship from Stratford to you is very reasonable. I can't drive from London to Stratford taking into account time for what it costs to ship. Also, shipping is very fast, within a day or two with standard shipping.

Many parts are still available from a Yamaha dealer.

Use www.boats.net or www.partzilla.com to search for and obtain Yamaha part number and that gives you the info to take to your dealer.

I've also found that parts guys love it if you save them the searching and bring them the numbers.

Unfortunately for us guys north of the 49th, we sometimes have no choice but to suck it up, pay the shipping, AND exchange.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Congrats on the start of your build, you doing it all in the Moro Revere shop? Stardust & Eyewinder - don't suppose either of you guys are headed to GBR next weekend are ya?

Hey Stardust83, Re: parts, www.xs650direct.com is the Canadian sister site to Mikes XS in the States.

Some of their parts are good, some suspect and some you just don't want to use.
I have read several times that their rubber parts quality is poor and only last a year or two. Also just recently read in a post by retiredgentleman that their carb throttle shaft seals only lasted a year before they started leaking again. He found they are still available OEM.

Before ordering anything from them, do a little searching to see if anyone has posted any experience with the part you are considering.
If you can't find anything with that search, post a question and you'll get lot's of answers. This is an amazingly helpful group.

Edit: Any order over $150 from them is free shipping and it's not hard to build up an order to that much. Even if you place a lower value order your cost for them to ship from Stratford to you is very reasonable. I can't drive from London to Stratford taking into account time for what it costs to ship. Also, shipping is very fast, within a day or two with standard shipping.

Many parts are still available from a Yamaha dealer.

Use www.boats.net or www.partzilla.com to search for and obtain Yamaha part number and that gives you the info to take to your dealer.

I've also found that parts guys love it if you save them the searching and bring them the numbers.

Unfortunately for us guys north of the 49th, we sometimes have no choice but to suck it up, pay the shipping, AND exchange.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted.[/QUOTE

Thanks, I just got a lead from a shop right here in Hamilton - ACP customs. They can motogadget products and I can just drive to the shop and get the goods plus they seem very very helpful. Also they do custom work on every aspect of motorcycles.

"Thanks, I just got a lead from a shop right here in Hamilton - ACP customs."

Wow, just looked at their website, nice connection to have in your backyard. They do nice work!

Back