First build - 1983 xs650 gravel bike

Congrats on the start of your build, you doing it all in the Moro Revere shop? Stardust & Eyewinder - don't suppose either of you guys are headed to GBR next weekend are ya?

Won't be attending the GBR either... Have a way to go before my bike is back on the road. It was last plated in 1986 and hasn't run in a long time. Still need to get my license too! Haha

Just a quick update. Not much time spent on prep this week but got the old tires off and took a look at the rims, I think they will clean up well. Ordered tires - going with Shinko 705's They are an 80/20 tire.

Glad I missed it, not really into zombies, skulls or camping - and 500 k days with a bunch of young hot shots whose enthusiam might be stronger than their riding etiquette.

Glad I missed it, not really into zombies, skulls or camping - and 500 k days with a bunch of young hot shots whose enthusiam might be stronger than their riding etiquette.

It's a pretty rad run but certainly not pegged to a buncha young hot shots / zombies / skulls. Ages range from 1 end to the other just like the bikes. Routes are phenomenal with some of the best Ontario riding out there. To each their own I suppose.

full

Motolanna swingarm - 3.5 kg

full

rims and Shinko 705 tires - they are a 80/20 tire

I sorted out some parts, gave the rims an initial clean; sending hubs out new week for blasting. Next week time to give the engine a clean for top end rebuild. Enjoying my time and nice to see things coming together.

Hi, updating this project.

Well you know sh*t happens. I bought another project bike - a 72 with 14000 km on it, garage find.

PO modified the bike for cafe racer but no major cuts to the frame, only unwanted tabs. Starter removed drag bars, braided front brake line, foam filters and Supertrapp mufflers. Shortened front and rear fender, new chain, and sprockets. Tank professionally painted.

So to complicate things further I bought a 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage and I am selling my Triumph Speed Triple.

I am going on vacation mid month so not enough time to decide my direction. I'm leaning on getting this new project bike running smoothly and support the cafe build to get bike certified, insured for the spring & ride the hell out of it!

I know you want pictures; these will be posted when I move on with this project.

cheers
-Bob

Hi, updating this project.

Well you know sh*t happens. I bought another project bike - a 72 with 14000 km on it, garage find.

PO modified the bike for cafe racer but no major cuts to the frame, only unwanted tabs. Starter removed drag bars, braided front brake line, foam filters and Supertrapp mufflers. Shortened front and rear fender, new chain, and sprockets. Tank professionally painted.

So to complicate things further I bought a 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage and I am selling my Triumph Speed Triple.

I am going on vacation mid month so not enough time to decide my direction. I'm leaning on getting this new project bike running smoothly and support the cafe build to get bike certified, insured for the spring & ride the hell out of it!

I know you want pictures; these will be posted when I move on with this project.

cheers
-Bob
Hello all: just updating this build thread. I sold my Triumph Speed Triple and the 83 xs650 gravel bike project. I purchased a 74 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker.

I am closing this thread and will be starting a new one in The Garage forum shortly. Cheers -Bob

Spiked tires.....interesting idea. No, just got some nice street tires, and I use this particular bike on those winter days when there is salt on the roads, but it is warm enough to ride. New York State also has lots of gravel/dirt roads to ride on and kick up some dust !

This reminds me of an annual thing my brother and I did many years ago, along with other hearty souls that ventured out with us. We'd sit down with our cordless drill/drivers and install a small, hex-head sheet metal screw into each of the knobs on our dirt-bike tires. The next day (Christmas eve day) we'd be up in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, tearing through the terrain. Our bikes were practically unstoppable. We could dump the clutch on solid, glare ice, and do wheelies with rooster-tails. Good memories.

This reminds me of an annual thing my brother and I did many years ago, along with other hearty souls that ventured out with us. We'd sit down with our cordless drill/drivers and install a small, hex-head sheet metal screw into each of the knobs on our dirt-bike tires. The next day (Christmas eve day) we'd be up in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, tearing through the terrain. Our bikes were practically unstoppable. We could dump the clutch on solid, glare ice, and do wheelies with rooster-tails. Good memories.
I love it !!
I'm staring at my drill/driver as I type this.......

Back