First build, Modern Cafe

dwallzee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up guys, I've been a member for about 6 now back when my XS obsession started. Anyway I figured I would share my build. I'm a professional motocross mechanic by trade but this will be my first street bike build. I have no welding of fab skills but I did just buy a new miller multimatic so this will be a learning experience. I picked up a 1977 and a 1981 as a package deal along with tons of stock parts. I originally planned to build both but after how much time and money I've already spent on this one I doubt I'll ever build the second but you never know. I started by stripping the engine down, cleaning and sandblasting everything (it was rough). The transmission was tumbled and polished and 5th gear o.d. was installed. The crank and cam was sent to Hugh to be rephrased and the cylinder was sent to hoos to be bored to match the JE 700 Pistons. I had the intake ports welded and I ported them to a D shape similar to Jacks. I epoxied the ports to run the D shape all the back to the bowls. I will be installing new stainless valves and springs as well as a 5 angle valve job. I powdercoated all of the engine parts myself but I will be outsourcing the bigger stuff. The engine will be reassembled with all new gaskets and seals, hughs PMA, pamco ignition and a hydraulic clutch. It will have hoos billet intakes with two Kehin 32mm FCR carbs. As far as I know no one has ran this carb setup so I'm serious to see how it runs. As for the chassis I'll be running a 2007 gsxr front end, r6 front calipers and stock mags powdercoated flat black with EBC rotors. I cut all of the stock tabs and brackets from the frame and ground them smooth which was no fun. I welded on a new rear loop to match my seat setup and tacked on a pan under the subframe to mount all of my electronics. I'll be running apex adjustable clip on bars, with hayabusa clutch and brake master cylinders I didn't was cheap switches so I got some Yamaha r6 bar switches. I am mounting s set of r1 vortex rear sets in more a mid location. Out back I plan to run the pandemonium rear disc adapter with Brembo caliper and master cylinder. I will also be running the motolanna aluminum swingarm with progressive shocks. I have a MAC 2 into 1 header that I plan to adapt a motocross style muffler to. That pretty much sums up what I've done and my plans, I will post updates when I can.

photo uploader
my starting piece

post a picture
head ported

screen shot
head epoxied

photo uploading websites
cases cleaned and ready to powder coat

images upload
cases powder coated

image sharing
cylinder powder coated

free uploader
framed de-tabbed

post a picture
electronics pan installed

photo hosting sites

post a picture
mocked up

Last edited:
I have spoken to Hugh on a few occasions (e-mail actually) and in one of those, I asked him what he thought about MikesXS. Told him I wasn't looking for him to bash another vendor, but just in general since some of these parts are hard to come by (and I have read the horror stories about Mikes). All he said was that he had no issues telling me not to order their valves. :D

My buddy john turner did it in California. He has a process of chemicals and tumbling that he does. He charges $225. If your interested I can give you his contact info.

Little update. I've been able to get a few things done on my bike. I modified my state cover and adapted a 2007 Aprilia RSV1000 hydraulic clutch slave cylinder to run with my haybusa master cylinder. I got the front brakes all sorted out , dual R6 calipers with custom lines and haybusa master cylinder. I also cut off the stock gsxr steering stops from the clamp and installed some attack racing billet stops. Also got my aluminum swingarm in and mocked up. Took a little modifying but not much, I think the look is definitely worth it.

how to do a screen shot
Front end mocked up

uploading images
Steering Stops and Brake line routing

hosting images
Front brakes mocked up

picture hosting
New swingarm mocked up

image hosting
Stator cover modified with Aprillia slave cylinder

Last edited:
Sorry for the typo I've got so many different brands parts on this bike I was confused. The slave is off of a 2007 Aprilia RSV1000. I'm not taking credit for this idea, Fellow members osteoderm and ippytattoo were the first couple of guys to do this. Here's the link http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13561&page=2. It's pretty straight forward. I can post pics of each part when I disassemble the bike if that will help. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back