First build, Modern Cafe

To the O/P,

I applaud you in taking the initiative of DIY porting but with D shaping the intake,the D is at the spigot opening only not the entire length of the port. The floor needs to be FLAT up to the short turn with a slight rolling of the corners to the outside walls. Roof must be aligned with floor radius corners. The ONE CRUCIAL ELEMENT to this D porting is the cross sectional area of the spigot, get it wrong and that port will fall flat on it's face with no velocity. You need to raise the entire floor! You want the height of the floor to the center of the roof at the spigot between 30 to 31MMs and depending on carb 34 to 36mms in width. You want the port to taper out to the valve seat, narrowing the port at the seat corners will cause a CFM loss. When working the short turn,you can bias the flow more at lower lifts or bias the flow in the upper range of the flow curve,it just depends on cam selection or what you trying to achieve. Also working the valve guide boss will also bias the flow. Total port volume will be in the neighborhood of 75 to 78 ccs when the port is restructured. Get the port right and the velocity will shoot the moon and the CFM flow should be between 185 to 195+ CFM at around .430 lift with flow hitting hard after .200 lift

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of updates. The project basically was put on hold do to my overwhelming work load but I've been slowly plugging away. Thanks for the info Jack, those pictures were of the unfinished port. I didn't have your dimensions but the finished product ended up really close to your dimensions. I'm not building this to be super high performance, I just want a good running bike. I've been able to finish building the engine, and everything is powder coated. Waiting on my tires to start assembling. Here's a couple of pictures where I'm at.

image upload no compression

screencast

image hosting 30 mb

Made a lot of progress on the ole girl today.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished up the wiring. Wasn't a fun job figuring out the gsxr ignition switch and r6 handlebar switches but I got it done. Swapped out the hayabusa master cylinders for aftermarket braking units. The bike is pretty much done minus my tank getting back from paint and a few small things to button up. Really happy with the throttle response with my carb/head set up.

image upload with preview

host image

upload image

screen shot windows 7

free screenshot software

post images

free image hosting
[img=http://s32.postimg.org/6m8omzq9x/image.jpg]
free image hosting

image free hosting

Wow...looks so good! Nice job.

I noticed the reg/rec is going to be under the tank...I just wonder if it will get enough cooling? Just an observation...might not be an issue really.

Keihin carbs?????? I bow to you sir:laugh: That is one sick motor for sure. Where did you purchase them,size and what did they set you back? Did you D shape the spigot manifolds? sure hope so cuz the epoxy will lift do to resistance. You want the spigot dimension at least 1mm less than the port opening. Cant wait to see the finished cafe project:thumbsup:

They are 32mm keihin FCR carbs from a Honda crf150r. I bought them new. I get oem parts at dealer cost. I don't remember exactly what they cost me but I think they were around $300 each. I haven't dshaped the spigots yet but I do plan to.

Finally got my tank back and found some time to get it to a point to put some miles on it. I still have some small things to finish and fix but I was able to but about 20 miles on it yesterday. I love it, plenty of power and the brakes are amazing. Still having issues the the electric start engaging even after the spring mod. And I have some tuning left to do with my carbs but overall the bike is awesome.

Back