first ride, need a little help

bradshaw106

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I took my bike out for its maiden voyage after its chop. bike came out looking great. my problem is as soon as i roll onto the throttle it studders farts and pops.
it will start first kick every time. also if you rev it in neutral it seems fine.
the bike ran great last year. I ran stabil thru the fuel system i figured it would be ok.
what do you think??

With all the ethanol in the gas, Stabil has a hard time keeping things clean. I would start by removing the air mix screws, spraying carb cleaner in where the screws go. This should clear your idle circuits. Dropping the float bowls and checking for plugged jets won't hurt either.

If it were mine, I'd take it even further -- go ahead and pull the carbs, dismantle them, clean them thoroughly with carb cleaner, and blow out ever single orifice with compressed air. If you're lucky you'll have gotten them clean enough the first time. If not, do it again. My experience has been that sometimes it takes two cleaning sessions to finally get my carbs clean enough for the engine to run right.

Also, if you're not running an inline fuel filter or filters (one for one petcock, two for two petcocks), you really should install one . . . or two.

You said, ( after it's chop ). If you changed the pipes or air cleaners, from a stock config., it wont run right until you adjust, or re-jet for these changes. Clean carbs are a must, first off.

Back