First time rehab of a 1976ish basket case

Should I cut down front fender or leave it?

• Total voters
Those clutch phillips are #3 any #3 bit on a hand impact removes them easily with no damage.
I wasn’t sure if they were Phillips or JIS but I used the JIS bits to play it safe. They didn’t/don’t look like they’d every been removed, which is more than I can say for every other piece of hardware on this bike

the reason my shift shaft seal was glued into place became apparent once I got it out.. the orifice that it sits in is botched pretty badView attachment 139621View attachment 139622so I cleaned the hell out of it and deburred as well as I could without removing too much material, and lubed/seated fresh seal. Time will tell how well it holds

Yeah, that’ll do it. Somebody really ham fisted an earlier repair. If it does leak again , you may have to smear some Yamabond around the outer edge of the new seal.

Yeah, that’ll do it. Somebody really ham fisted an earlier repair. If it does leak again , you may have to smear some Yamabond around the outer edge of the new seal.
I was thinking maybe a thin stainless or copper washer with the same o/d as the orifice with some sili, and a thinner exterior washer so that the circlip groove stayed in the same orientation, for the sake of future replacement. But I’ll probably just end up yamahonding if the leak is bad enough

Next time you're in HF, pick up one of their cheap plastic calipers, only $2 or $3. They're not super accurate but perfect for sizing nuts and bolts. I have a couple and use them all the time for this .....

tLOGe5L.jpg

Next time you're in HF, pick up one of their cheap plastic calipers, only $2 or $3. They're not super accurate but perfect for sizing nuts and bolts. I have a couple and use them all the time for this .....

tLOGe5L.jpg
I’ve got one from a caliper set I picked up a few years ago sitting right on my shelf, 10 feet from where I was standing when I wrote that post :doh: thank you for the reminder that tools exist! I’ll get there some day.. maybe.

On your ignition switch, red/yellow is power out to the headlight on/off switch in your new right switch assembly. Connect it to the red/yellow coming out of that switch. The 2 blue/blacks are just plain blues. They power the tail light and I think the instrument illumination bulbs in the "Park" position.

On your new switch, the blue/black would run over to the hi/lo switch in the other handlebar control. It would send headlight power there when you turn the headlight on/off switch on. The blue is also from the headlight on/off switch and should be tapped into a blue running back to the tail light. Usually the blues coming out of the ignition switch have multi-connectors on the ends where you can plug that handlebar switch blue into. Brown would be power into the kill switch from the ignition switch and red/white would be that power out to the coils.
@devildrums

Back