First time rehab of a 1976ish basket case

Should I cut down front fender or leave it?

• Total voters
might try pine sol too as I've seen some promising results with it
Might want to do some research on that. These carbs are made from zamak, which is a zinc alloy. I've no first hand experience, but I seem to remember reading that pine sol discolors it.
Maybe someone else here has some knowledge of whether that's true or not?

Before you order any carb parts, ask about 'em here. Some stuff out there is new Chinese junk and some is overpriced. Members here will steer you in the right direction. I try to get what I need from Partzilla. It's all OEM Yamaha parts.

Before you order any carb parts, ask about 'em here. Some stuff out there is new Chinese junk and some is overpriced. Members here will steer you in the right direction. I try to get what I need from Partzilla. It's all OEM Yamaha parts.
Thanks for the heads up about the potential issues with the pine sol. I'm not looking for showroom shine anyway, just best functional cleaning of ports and passages. They're cleaning up nice as is with just acouple cans of carb cleaner and elbow grease

IMG_3471.JPG
I think that's enough action for now, time to relax with a can of something cold and cheap and figure out what's next on the agenda. I know this part is all pretty mundane, but knowing that this community exists and feeling the support has really lit a fire under the old seat pan and I'm just excited to make progress here

Last edited:
That should be all you need, combined with compressed air to blow the cleaner through the passageways. Those carbs don't look bad enough to need a soak. Spray some of your carb cleaner into a little cup and dip old toothbrushes and Q tips in it then scrub the parts clean. Carb cleaner is pretty strong stuff so I like to rinse it away afterwards with something milder like WD40 or kerosene. Blow it through the passageways to flush out any remnants of the carb cleaner. And be sure to keep the carb cleaner away from the rubber parts, it can destroy them, especially the slide diaphragms. They'll shrivel up like a used condom if you apply carb cleaner to them, lol.

Yes, that is stock jetting for that carb set, stock needle and clip setting too. I don't think the P.O. was doing much sustained high speed running down the interstate or he probably would have seized the motor, lol. The other thing you have going for you is that missing o-ring on the needle jets. That could have allowed more fuel through, flowing around the outside of the jet instead of just through it, so it could have been running richer than stock like that. That would sort of be like re-jetting.

If you plan to run the basic mods similar to what you've got now (pods and pipes) then yes, you better re-jet a little bit. Usual routine for your carb set is one up on the pilots (to a 27.5) and mains in the low 130s. I would get 130s and 132.5s to try out. With the larger mains, you will need to lean the needles one step (raise the clip to the #2 slot).

Reading around the site you may run across many running mains into the low 140s. That's entirely possible on some of the other carb sets that had stock mains in the 130s to begin with, but you'll never get that big on your carb set. Your small 122.5 stock mains and large Z-8 needle jet won't allow it.

Greasy nice project you have here. I too took on a project last January and the carb clean and rebuild was the easy part....until the throttle shaft seals started to leak early this summer. Since you have things apart, it wouldnt be a bad idea to do replace them. It would save you some grief later if you develop an air leak. Keep the pics and progress updated as we all like to see others projects. J-C

That should be all you need, combined with compressed air to blow the cleaner through the passageways. Those carbs don't look bad enough to need a soak. Spray some of your carb cleaner into a little cup and dip old toothbrushes and Q tips in it then scrub the parts clean. Carb cleaner is pretty strong stuff so I like to rinse it away afterwards with something milder like WD40 or kerosene. Blow it through the passageways to flush out any remnants of the carb cleaner. And be sure to keep the carb cleaner away from the rubber parts, it can destroy them, especially the slide diaphragms. They'll shrivel up like a used condom if you apply carb cleaner to them, lol.

Yes, that is stock jetting for that carb set, stock needle and clip setting too. I don't think the P.O. was doing much sustained high speed running down the interstate or he probably would have seized the motor, lol. The other thing you have going for you is that missing o-ring on the needle jets. That could have allowed more fuel through, flowing around the outside of the jet instead of just through it, so it could have been running richer than stock like that. That would sort of be like re-jetting.

If you plan to run the basic mods similar to what you've got now (pods and pipes) then yes, you better re-jet a little bit. Usual routine for your carb set is one up on the pilots (to a 27.5) and mains in the low 130s. I would get 130s and 132.5s to try out. With the larger mains, you will need to lean the needles one step (raise the clip to the #2 slot).

Reading around the site you may run across many running mains into the low 140s. That's entirely possible on some of the other carb sets that had stock mains in the 130s to begin with, but you'll never get that big on your carb set. Your small 122.5 stock mains and large Z-8 needle jet won't allow it.
Sweet thanks, I'll be running through everything again (ran out of cleaner) with a few more nook and cranny capable tools on hand, and call that a day until I get replacement gaskets and a set of fresh jets. I left the starter body assembly on, since I haven't messed with one before. Should that be pulled and fresh gasket as well?

Greasy nice project you have here. I too took on a project last January and the carb clean and rebuild was the easy part....until the throttle shaft seals started to leak early this summer. Since you have things apart, it wouldnt be a bad idea to do replace them. It would save you some grief later if you develop an air leak. Keep the pics and progress updated as we all like to see others projects. J-C
image.jpg
Would that be item 36 here? Heard of that being an issue before

The needle jet o-ring size is a 1mm thick x 4mm I.D. Well, the actual size is something oddball like 1.1 x 3.1, which you'll never find, lol. The 1 x 4 works just fine. Yamaha never sold this part but Suzuki did, still does .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/09280-03003?ref=e0bdf49a441d336c420e76d14200387b64933fdf

..... or you can just use a generic 1 x 4 o-ring.
Man, you guys are too good at this. Taking all the work out of every step! Anyone who's ignorant to these processes and isn't on this forum is shooting themselves in the foot big time. Thanks a ton 5t

Also thanks for the encouragement j-c, this is my first big project bike and I'm so glad I discovered and joined this forum. It's like having an army of enthusiasts and experts at your finger tips. I'll do my best to keep up progress, if only for the sake of entertaining the masses

Sink your floats to the bottom of a small container of gas and let 'em sit overnight. See if they slosh the next day.

Did you do a slide drop test before you disassembled them?
You mean to check for leaks in the floats? Will do. And nope on the drop test. Until reading your write up that you dropped here I had never heard of one. It's on the list now :doh:

IMG_3478.JPG
Also coming soon to a forum near you, a drunk guy chews on wires and bangs his head against a garage door! Exciting stuff, 11 colors of 16ga tsx, some 14ga black for frame grounds, a multimeter that i don't know how to use yet, a voltage meter (3 wire) and some crimp on bullet connecters that i intent to back-solder and heatshrink. What could go wrong?.. zap

Back