first time start up issue's

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok so i got to the point where i wanted to try and kick over the engine installed 277 rephase pamco as the picture below shows but with two coils. i had all the grounds coming together then one attached to the frame. when i kick i get nothing. just sounds like i'm kicking over a bike with no electronics.. any ideas should i at least here some sort of attempt for the motor to crank?? also the battery i have everything hooked up to is a cheap lawn and garden battery with 145 cold cranking amps.

Attachments

• XS_pamcotest_2.jpg
    XS_pamcotest_2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 66
I'm not a Pamco expert, but I'm 99.9% sure it will only work with a single, dual-tower coil.

Yeah, I shouldn't be answering 277 questions. But I do know that PamcoPete has a spark test that should work for you. I think it is on his site, or you can search the forums. From memory, the test goes like this: remove the nut holding the trigger disc on, remove the pin under the disc you just removed, and put the trigger disc back on. Now you can turn the trigger disc with your fingers. With things hooked up like in your pic, you should be able to hear the plugs firing -- a faint click -- as you turn the disc. Or you can pull and GROUND a plug, and watch for the spark.
If the test is good, you have a fuel problem.

I thought the rephase Pamco had a plate with 2 pick-ups (and 2 sets of wire leads) and used 2 separate coils?

jeepguy,

OK. Here is the test procedure that DogBunny was referring to only in your case do it twice:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

Testing the PAMCO

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.

To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

i will do all this so far the coils check out, Pete will do the rest tom.. one of the concerns is that it is installed incorrectly. while reviewing the instructions i was looking at the advance and mine is not located in the same axial orientation as the one in the picture is this wrong or normal?? i say this because in after i install the advance and then put the rotor on it isn't in either position that the instructions show..... it is positioned with one of the magnets at 9 and the other at 12. ??????

any input on the advance situtation i'm talking about, looking for Hugh or pete to chime in , and if Hugh see's this him because he rephased my crank so he might have a better idea of how i should install the pamco.......

Pamco install should be straight forward. If looking at the Pamco, the "left" circuit board powers the "left Cylinder). Left cylinder should be the Charging system side...

Then the Right Circuit board is for the Right Cylinder... If installed properly, I've never had a Pamco fired engine that didn't come to life right away...

With #1 cylinder (left, charging side) at TDC, the magnets on your Pamco Rotor should be horizontal....

Thanks Hugh i'll take another look at it tonight and see if i can get it set up correctly. by left and right, talking abou tthe circuit, is left at 6 and right at 3, or close to it.. I think that is what you mean......i thought i was smarter than this haha

OK checked pamco.... installed correctly got full battery voltage on red wires coming fro unit. both plugs have spark... and i still got nothing. I am thinking it must be nappy carbs(considering i bought these and was just told they were clean) I suppose a good cleaning and rebuild kit wont hurt. do yall think it is probably a fuel problem???

If i was getting no fuel it wouldn't even attempt to start correct??

If you're getting spark with the plugs grounded on the heads it sounds like carbs to me. Are you getting fuel to the bowls - petcocks on "prime" etc..??
Set the mixture screws 1.5 turns out & take the idle adjustment 1.0 turn of its seat. If this doesn't fire the engine I would be having a look for blocked pilot jets, you probable don't need a kit - maybe just a clean out.
If you're using the choke don't open the throttle at the same time.

you could also try a little starting fluid or gas squirted into the throat of the carbs to try as well. if it fires with this and dies then you are looking for fuel supply problems or plugged passages.

Back