First timer needing help

JLov

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

working on my first build and first motorcycle. I have some newbie questions for ya that im not sure about might be stupid but im learning thanks!

first when i put my clutch cable in i noticed it was tough to pull and the spring wasnt moving then i finally got it to move but it wouldnt go all the way back down? am i missing something or what do i need to do?

with the wiring two pictures i uploaded and not really sure what they go to and where the one with the spring connects to

thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 214
first picture looks fine. the arm is indexed right, pack that with grease. There should be 2 screws holding it together.
Second picture is the rear brake light switch.
Third picture goes to horn

Your clutch cable end goes through the hole in the cover and hooks into the loop on the arm.
At this point the lever shou;ld pull easy and the arm in the cover should turn, as it turns it moves away from the cover.
If at this point the lever won't pull easy and the arm doesn't move you need to clean and lube the cable. Use the funnel and oil method as described in your repair manual. The clamp on the cable type liber ain't worth the money. Those spray lubes don't work well or long.
On your rear brake switch, the spring hooks to the arem on the brake pivot shaft. The brake pivot shaft is what the brake pedal fits on. The spring hooks to the arm on the inside of the frame. On a stock bike anyway.
From looking at the third pic your bike has wrapped pipes that come to one side. This often means the bike has been modified. Pics of the whole bike will help.
The third pic lookas to be for the horn. Both those wires plug onto the tereminals on the horn. Power comes to the horn on the brown wire, the pink wire goes up to the horn button. The horn button grounds the pink wire, horn toots.
Leo

It looks to me like the base of the worm gear (like angus said) isn't secured with the screws. I could see how it would bind. The gear is pulling it up instead of rotating the arm?

My eyes lie to me on a regular basis. But they say there are two holes with shiney wear rings where screws might have been?

I have never tried to use the worm without securing it with screws. seems like a fruitless venture.
So, whatever it does without being secure doesn't matter.

Back