First Top End Build

Hey all back at it!
I got the jug and head back on today and now working on getting cam/chain on. The new chain is tight! I put the two bolts by the spark plug in an tightened to snug and the on above the cam chain tensioner. Still tight. I will get it, but may need to do some prying to get it up that last tooth.

I do have two questions.
1. Where should the cam bearings sit in the head? In the center of the bearing seat or to one side of the other?
2. Which mark is actual TDC on the alternator? Is it the line before the "T" or the "T" itself?

It's the line next to the "T."
For help with the chain, go to the first article in the Tech section. Help with the chain is about 2/3 of the way down the thread. Cam bearings is towards the end.

Alright guys I am back. I have just installed the cam cover. It is not torqued yet. I just used some gasket sealer and put the nuts/bolts in finger tight. When I put the cover on I had the came gear center in the channel. I am now putting on the points covers, but on the right side I am having issues.

On the right hand side there is a small pin that sticks straight up out of the cam. I cannot get the seal up and around that pin to get the cover in place. I did notice that I can tap on the left hand side of the cam and slide it over, but stopped. Is it okay for me to tap the cam over to the left far enough for me to clear the pin and then tap the cam back to the left? How will I know if the cam is centered, or does it automatically center itself after the advance shaft and bolts go in? I didnt want to do anything further until I had more clarification on this. any thoughts?

You should be able to pull that pin out then stick it back in after the advance housing is installed.

You should be able to pull that pin out then stick it back in after the advance housing is installed.
great! I will try that out. However, Does the cam center itself once everything is installed and tightened? If it slid a little one way do I need to pull the cam cover and adjust the cam again, or should I be fine?

Apparently the cam will center itself once the points/advance housings are installed, as long as the top cover and head bolts aren't torqued down yet. I've always measured to center mine while the top is still off but this alternate method is supposed to work. It is covered in this thread, post #3 .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-top-end-buildup.52041/#post-548733

The whole topend assembly is covered very well in the above thread. It should answer pretty much any questions you may have. But, there is nothing on the question you asked here about that pin. The motor Jim did is a later model without the advance unit and the pin.

Back