First XS 650 acquired

lowroadacres

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I have just acquired an XS 650 from a friend who was cleaning out his shop and storage following the sale of his property. If I have the history correct it is a US bike with title while I reside in Canada. The bike had some attention paid to it by the previous owner but I can't say that it was good attention. It had a rough pain job done to the tank, frame and side panels. Bike is definitely not running but appears to be complete. it is a 72-73 model according to the serial number search. The ID plate on the frame has been faded badly so I am working off the stamped serial number. The motor is free but will need to be torn down. I have zero clue right now as to when this bike might have last run. The price was right and some spare parts are likely coming my way yet as the move approaches. I will be combing the forum for ideas and resources. Its been years since I have owned a bike and I have had the itch for some time.
XS Pic Sept 28.JPG

Congratulations on your new bike, there’s tons of good information here. I see some interesting changes on your bike, the mag rear wheel for one, and mufflers from a later model (75? ). Take some more detailed photos from different angles when you can and the guys will chime in. Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

hey loadroadacres, welcome to the site an XS650's, in your case TX650's. Same bikes, Yamaha changed the XS to TX in 73 when they introduced their 500 and 750. Those 2 models proved to b problematic, especially the 750), so they changed it back to XS to get rid of the TX stigma. 750 was discontinued and the 500 went till 77 or 78 i think.

But your TX is an XS in disguise and it is a good as any other XS/TX.

The mufflers are from the 74/75 model. If the chrome is in good nick and you want to go back to an original style then the muffles are worth a good penny. 74/75 mufflers are not made as a aftermarket offering...Rear wheel is from an 81 Special in the States, but Canada used the drum brake mag wheel from 81-84/5.

If you change the rear wheel to a spoke wheel, it will swap straight in using the spacers from the mag wheel to the spoke wheel, (don't sell the spacers).

not a close up pic but from here it looks like you have a good solid and clean bike with reason able chrome.

Enjoy

I will try to take some other pictures. My friend had three 650 twins in various states of "waiting for a project" after the 3 prior ones he had bobbed and restored.

The information you guys have already shared is good for perspective. My ultimate goal is to have a bike that looks old with a bit of street tracker feel with a more agressive tire as I like to explore side roads and trails. Not off road really but unmaintained roads. I live near Brandon, Manitoba and we have a ton of gravel and dirt roads which lead to all sorts of great scenery. My first goal will be to get the bike running with the least amount of fuss. I like the bar set up it currently has and the seat looks like it will do the trick as it is already. Tomorrow the goal is to get the bike in under cover where I will poke away at it through the winter. As far as mufflers go, will cross that bridge when we get there. I like loud and sharp so may go with something aftermarket. I guess for lack of a better term rat rod or mad max lite will be where the bike will likely end up look wise.

Back