First Yamaha XS650

Guyver---Great looking bike and shop. I love your extinguisher seat.......

tim
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I actually built the stool; it was spendy to do, totally worth it though. I made the feature wall as well and the control panel; which is activated by the knife switch, it turns on the lights and start up light show with sound effects.

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_160239.jpg
    IMG_20191102_160239.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20191102_155843.jpg
    IMG_20191102_155843.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20191102_160218.jpg
    IMG_20191102_160218.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20191207_095308.jpg
    IMG_20191207_095308.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 178
Your '72 was the first year for a front disc set-up and it's rather unique, different from all the later ones. The later ones, and most discs for that matter, bolt to the hub. Your '72 isn't like that. The disc carrier has tabs on it that fit into slots on the hub. I'm not aware of any aftermarket replacement discs for this one year only set-up. Your only option may be to drill the one you've got.

And speaking of drilling the disc, I've done 3 or 4 and didn't find it all that difficult. I did them all on my $49 HF benchtop drill press. For drill bits, I didn't use anything special, just a good quality high speed steel American made bit. After center-punching the pattern onto the disc, I "dimple" each punch mark dry to get the hole started and centered, then add a drop of oil and drill it through. The disc material didn't seem particularly hard or harder than most other steels I've drilled through.

full

Welcome Guyver! Nice shop and bike. If you have access to a drill press you can drill with the help of a template any pattern you wish to have. I have done mine last winter and turned out great. Used a sharp punch, a few new cobalt drill bits and cutting oil. Couple hours later, Success! Enjoy the site and take a read thru the tech section for all XS info. JC
72C05340-627C-450C-A17B-1CC74AF05240.jpeg

Hi Peterg no it is a 19” with a fat 4.00 x 19” Shinko 270 tire. Had to oblong the mount holes on the fender to raise up. JC

Your '72 was the first year for a front disc set-up and it's rather unique, different from all the later ones. The later ones, and most discs for that matter, bolt to the hub. Your '72 isn't like that. The disc carrier has tabs on it that fit into slots on the hub. I'm not aware of any aftermarket replacement discs for this one year only set-up. Your only option may be to drill the one you've got.

And speaking of drilling the disc, I've done 3 or 4 and didn't find it all that difficult. I did them all on my $49 HF benchtop drill press. For drill bits, I didn't use anything special, just a good quality high speed steel American made bit. After center-punching the pattern onto the disc, I "dimple" each punch mark dry to get the hole started and centered, then add a drop of oil and drill it through. The disc material didn't seem particularly hard or harder than most other steels I've drilled through.

Wow, thanks for the information; I greatly appreciate
Welcome Guyver! Nice shop and bike. If you have access to a drill press you can drill with the help of a template any pattern you wish to have. I have done mine last winter and turned out great. Used a sharp punch, a few new cobalt drill bits and cutting oil. Couple hours later, Success! Enjoy the site and take a read thru the tech section for all XS info. JC
View attachment 162291

Nice work! Thanks for the information.

~Gene

full

You did a fantastic job on drilling out your disc!

Back