fitting tubeles tyres to spoked xs650 alloy rims

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,,,, i,ve got a 1976 frame with moroni rims with spokes,,,, i,ll need new tyres this year ,,and somewhere i,ve seen briefly that you can fit a tubeless tyre to these rims by putting gunk of some sort on the top of the spokes,,,, any experience in this would be much appreciated or is it dangerous to do? regards oldbiker

old bikers become dead bikers trying to do that trick.

Just use a tube in a tubeless tire, no big deal.

And just to go further, not all mag rims are tubeless unless it is clearly marked. Aluminum can be porous and leak air.

What happens to the gunk when the spokes need to be re-tightened or adjusted? I don't know, I suppose anything can be done if you want to bad enough, but it just sounds like a crazy idea to me. Why don't you want tubes?

My Gas-Gas trials bike had tubeless tires on a spoked rim. Over the spokes was a thick rubber band that was undersized and pulled real hard against the tops of the spokes. This effectively sealed the rim for a tubeless tire running 6lbs of tire pressure.
Tubeless rims also have a safety bead that keeps the tire from de-beading from side wall roll at low pressure. With a regular rim, you wouldn't have this safety feature and your tire would deflate super quick if you hit something hard enough to disturb the bead seat.

I say all this while running tubeless tires on old VW rims with no bead safety band.:laugh: Have had no problems yet running at 32psi tire pressure.

Honda used to run a wheel with the spoke nipples on the hub with the other end in a ridge on the rim. No holes in the rim. These could be run tubeless.
Leo

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!psE63ZjQgDmBPFb!LzLVQ~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!psE63ZjQgDmBPFb!LzLVQ~~60_14.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 214
  • $(KGrHqVHJDcE9!T+Rz0RBPV32-hD1!~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJDcE9!T+Rz0RBPV32-hD1!~~60_14.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 220
What happens to the gunk when the spokes need to be re-tightened or adjusted? I don't know, I suppose anything can be done if you want to bad enough, but it just sounds like a crazy idea to me. Why don't you want tubes?

2 different ways to make this work. You can coat the base of the nipple carefully with Elmer's glue, or use those sticky dots people price crap at yard sales with to isolate the nipple to wheel interface and the spoke to nipple interface so the sealer does not lock them up. Use of a moderate shore hardness material that is designed to hold pressure (not just a tube of silicone, not made to hold pressure) such as AMS 8802 aircraft sealant at a coating thickness of around 1/8" with the aforementioned protection of the nipples will yield a serviceable wheel that can be run without a tube.

This thread shows why the often recommended 3M 5200 is NOT a good choice. The 8802 will not peel up easily, provided you do your part with the cleaning.
http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2012/02/14/converting-spoked-rims-for-tubeless-tyres/

Less heat buildup. Less centrifugal weight. When punctured a tubeless tyre will be safer because it deflates slowly and gradually and not throw you off balance like an exploded inner tube. Imagine that when travelling 70mph on the highway.

Many have tried converting spoke wheels to run tubeless but it's a lot of work regarding sealing and a pain when changing/fixing tyres. Well, Pros and Cons.

hi guys,,,, i,ve got a 1976 frame with moroni rims with spokes,,,, i,ll need new tyres this year ,,and somewhere i,ve seen briefly that you can fit a tubeless tyre to these rims by putting gunk of some sort on the top of the spokes,,,, any experience in this would be much appreciated or is it dangerous to do? regards oldbiker
...................... hi guys thanks for your replies i was not going that way ,,,,as i do want to live a tad longer at this point ,,,its just that i saw it written on some site and thought i,d ask thankyou very muck guys regards oldbiker

DNA sells brand new spoked wheels sealed for tubeless running. It's not risky if your wheels have locking beads, which most modern bike wheels do.

Back