Fix along w gggGary

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Call couple days ago bike has been two shops idle but will not rev. I heard you are an xs650 expert. Will you make it run? Known the guy 4 years , sure drop it off so these pics are " as it arrived"

Attachments

• 1554507233229816546659.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 135
  • 15545072690982122615830.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
  • 1554507289046-1934318258.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
First thing I'd do is put the pics right side up so's we can see what we're dealing with.... :rolleyes:

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 67
The clutch cable is incorrectly routed - it should go between the two carbs not down the outside of the LH carb.

Other than that, I’d say that there is a good chance some of that crap from inside the tank is now somewhere down in the carbs - or blocking the fuel Tee (those are BS34s afterall) between the carbs.

Maybe that is the problem - the fuel Tee is partially blocked and won’t flow enough fuel to left the bike rev up....?

Also, the fuel tank vent in the cap looks pretty crusty - perhaps it is all baffed up too and air can’t get in as fuel flows out.

Guy unloaded it out of a pick up,and bolted in "some battery", stuck the tank and seat on it. Tried the starter not enough juice for a more than 1/2 a crank.

Going to use a test tank, don't want to mess with that thang. Again this will be down and dirty basic diagnose and fix. Owner is a buy n sell guy, he can do the pretty up and "grunge work". Going to check cell levels and slap a charger on the battery overnight.

Last edited:
The clutch cable is incorrectly routed - it should go between the two carbs not down the outside of the LH carb.

Also, the fuel tank vent in the cap looks pretty crusty - perhaps it is all baffed up too and air can’t get in as fuel flows out.

Clutch lever feels good, not excessively hard to pull, engagement point with in reason, no sharp bends. Will prolly set free play at worm hit it with some oil...
Note the rotted rubber seal is half off the gas cap, no vacuum there!

Added distilled water to cover top of plates (syringe is quite handy for this.) battery is on charger. Pulled plugs both were correct and "new" light soot build up. Got 155L 155R with kick starter, throttle open. Dip stick was broken off, couldn't see broken piece "in the
hole" checked oil with good stick, looked clean, correct level, doesn't smell gassy, finger rub test sez viscosity is "good".
DSCF9056.JPG DSCF9057.JPG
fuse box will need some checking. That's all for tonight.
MTW I just happen to have a couple sets of BS34's overhauled n ready to install. :sneaky:

Back