Flasher relay issue

SinisterMatti

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1978 XS650e last month. When I got it the wiring going to the front and back blinkers had been cut. I wired everything up, but the blinker lights would just come on steady. I did some research on the forums here and replaced the flasher relay with one from autozone which was recommended in the thread.

Initially it worked fine, although there was a 3 second delay from when I hit the blinker to when it lit up. Also, when I was at higher RPMs with the blinker on, it would blink faster. The past few days it has been getting much worse. Today the blinker takes about 5 seconds before the first flash, and it is very long between flashes. If I'm at high RPMs the blinker flashes so quickly it almost looks solid. Did I maybe get a bad flasher relay from autozone? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Matti and welcome,
some recent posts on aftermarket flashers going crazy fast have blamed the phenomenon on the flasher being located too close to an aftermarket ignition coil.
A no cost test would be to move the flasher mebbe a foot further away from the coil?

Back