Flat battery bike died

Oh forgot the pic

Attachments

• 20180316_164949.jpg
    20180316_164949.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 158
Something about XS650s...
Seems when you fix one thing that something totally unrelated then breaks!:confused:
Tonight after fitting the new clutch springs I went for a ride.
Once out of civilisation I gave it some herbs and then a terrible grating sound.
Naturally I concluded something amiss with the clutch or the gears as it was making a terrible noise...
I rode home very slowly anticipating a lockup at any moment.
When I got home and in the light I found the rear mount of the chainguard broken:sick:
This must be fairly common as Ive had them come adrift before and get mangled by the wheel.
This one stayed put thankfully.
Now I have 2 choices
Weld it back together or
Leave it off....
Good news is the clutch isnt slipping under load and revs anymore:)

Attachments

• 20180317_005034.jpg
    20180317_005034.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 210
No way mate Im staying here.!
Steal a loaf of bread in England in 1769 and get an all expenses paid voyage on a sailing ship to a land of sunshine, sandy beaches, hot women and great long and winding roads

Hi 'bikerx,
OTOH, there was a perhaps 10%+ chance of transportees not surviving the voyage, there were 20+ men for every woman regardless of their hotness and you never saw the sandy beaches because you were too busy building those great long and winding roads.
And transportation stopped the very day that London got word of the Australian gold fields.

Ok all welded up but hey whats the purpose of the missing bolt atop the swingarm on chain side?

Attachments

• 20180317_123443.jpg
    20180317_123443.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180317_130233.jpg
    20180317_130233.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 174
If you've got "chain gaps" like you've pictured you've probably got a worn chain and/or sprockets. A loose chain is certainly a slack chain between the sprockets, but should still fit tight over sprocket teeth.
It might be chain or sprocket time...

Im back!...just got a thing in my emails regarding someones post of freshly painted parts, and very nice too in black...
Sold my 79 Special to a young bloke in Victoria a while back, enabled me to finish my AP6 Valiant and get in registered and then a week later took the GT Falcon for a run at the drags, after a very smoky burnout she ran a 14.4 and then back at the shed I discovered a gear oil leak that led to me pulling the toploader out so a mate could fit a rear mainshaft bearing.
While refilling I thought Id top up the diff and it took over 2 litres in the nine inch rear....further investigation pulling axles and centre revealed damage so I went to a full 31 spline Tru track.
So the XS money came in real handy!
A week later an offer I couldnt refuse on the Ford and I started looking for something else...Mopar I thought.
After looking at half a dozen Challengers and Roadrunners all with the wrong engines I lucked onto a 1971 Buick Skylark GS455 Stage 1
Triple Black with 95,000 miles and a fresh rebuilt motor to '70 spec valves and TA cam, stainless headers.
Body off resto 18 yrs ago .
This things mint, and a total grunt monster!
Ran a 14.1@97mph at the track, unsorted, should be able to pull almost a second out of it with some carb tuning and a dissy regraph.
15th August Test N Tune 2018 -  (338)-(ZF-9971-37062-1-001)-01.jpeg
15th August Test N Tune 2018 -  (764)-(ZF-9971-37062-1-005)-01.jpeg
15th August Test N Tune 2018 -  (511)-(ZF-9971-37062-1-003)-01.jpeg
20180706_150102.jpg
20180706_150124.jpg

Searching old threads now for info on rewinding my XS650 rotor.
Can update this one.
Best time to date with the Stage 1 is 13.74@99mph
Had my carb man work his magic on the Rochester Quadrajet and distributor.
Another Test n Tube on Oct 1
Still unsure if I'll run the Buick or the Victory Kingpin, ran a series of 12.8 ish times just after bike landed here , but I think the 134hp 144 TQ had me a little intimidated off outta the gate as the Kingpin has run 11.6 back in the States.

Ok ...I never checked the brushes out before riding off into the wide blue yonder ....shouldve I guess from past experience...
Bike started surging. . clutch slip?
Twist throttle hard...naaaaaa
Fuel?....had full tank leaving home..naaa
Battery dieing???? Quick! Turn headlight off! ....try to coax more out of it.....hit the horn and bike jerks....oh shit!.....long hill to the top to the border gate then can maybe roll down the other side??,,
No such luck bike dies!!!
Manage to turn in a very dangerous spot and try to clutch start but engine not turning....slow panic....
Pull into a farm driveway and turn phone on and txt missus get her on her way with a 10mm or shifter...
I check fuel...plenty.
Headlight dead horn dead..
A life of XS650 tells me alt brushes worn out without looking.
Now Ive brought one tool i case carbs pop off. A double end screwdriver..
Ten mill bolts have phillips too and a screwdriver cracks em ...
Ok first I walk down the dirt driveway.
No first I make sure the missus knows where Im broke down...quick pic ...we ride this road often...quick description .address number and Im trudging the road of happy destiny to ask if I can leave my wounded horse on thier farm.
Yep ! ...my mind had conjured savage dogs and other atrocities while trudging towards the house....Im arriving unannnounced ...to be met by????
A shotgun weilding housewife???
A banjo playing pig hunter????
Nope! A nice lady just got outta the shower...just put my bike under cover of the verandah..
Thank you thank you thanks...
My bikes safe...

I trudge back to where Ive left my helmet on a wheelie bin and my leather jacket on a gatepost and my previously removed battery next to it...
Phone rings shes at 700 its 700 on other side of border but so fresh info and shes on her way..
I doodle on my phone to kill time and shortly shes here as Im checking emails and such...
Just as well..mozzies starting to eat me alive!
Ok in the Festiva and we go to turn.
Headlights and roars...we wait while half a dozen bad boys on hogs growl up the hill....its a popular bike road this..
Ok safe to turn...we turn.
Coupla minute later another bad boy comes up behind..missus pulls to side a bit to let him pass easier...he roars past!...."no acnowlegement" the missus says.....
Hes a bad boy on a Harley says I
Say no more.....
Not that I got nuthin gainst Harleys mind ya...love old flatties pans shovels and knucks...evos too.
Just the new breed of psuedo bad boys on the newer stuff can be a bit remote....kool aid they call it evidently.
Another story I aint getting into...
Been broke down a coupla times in last few years and ridden straight past by thier likes....anyway back to the XS
Hopes I can source some brushes local...
Sorry your experience with newer H-D owners has been negative. I am primarily a H-D rider and I promise you, I've never passed a fellow motorcyclist with a breakdown and not stopped to help. Good luck with the charging system.

Woohoo just picked up my rewound rotor and Sal made me up some brushes too...night ride coming up
Thanks for the lead back into my thread whoever sent it.
I gotta ring Jeff's XS evidently.
There now I can't forget that!!!
Reading my old post a bloke called Sal in Brisbane rewound my rotor.
But there's no Sal in my current phone so fortunately there's a pommy Pete still in my phone and he said just ring Jeff's XS or could be Geoff's XS , and buy a new one over the counter...
Ok I'm on a mission!
And thanks!

Thanks for the lead back into my thread whoever sent it.
I gotta ring Jeff's XS evidently.
There now I can't forget that!!!
Reading my old post a bloke called Sal in Brisbane rewound my rotor.
But there's no Sal in my current phone so fortunately there's a pommy Pete still in my phone and he said just ring Jeff's XS or could be Geoff's XS , and buy a new one over the counter...
Ok I'm on a mission!
And thanks!
So far, there have been no positive reviews on this forum for a reproduction rotor that I’m aware of.

nuthin wrong with big tits but I been bit by Chinese parts before!
just spoke to a local bloke with XS650 experience, he can rewind my rotor for sixty bucks!
Catch is hes away till the 23rd...will almost have my Victory back by then...
Till then Im riding total loss, headlight off and no nightriding (unless its full moon)
I can ride the Honda C90 at night.
or if Im desperate..my car.
Pity I didn't post his number isn't it😂
I'll hunt for Geoff's XS rotor I guess

Just type Geoff'XS in the search bar, his shop will come up. If he doesn't have any new ones listed, ring him, he's a friendly bloke and will talk for hours on XS650 and GT Falcons. he may have a second hand one. Just don't tell him I sent you. He has something like 80 bikes in his shop, plus heaps and heaps of used parts, biggest XS dealer in Oz, his shop is in Londonderry, just on the outskirts of Sydney.
Price the part first, it may be cheaper to convert to a PMA, I converted my 74 for around $140, using new rotor, stator and reg/rec off ebay.
If you get stuck I have a stock rotor showing 5 ohms for sale.

But before replacing parts willy nilly, check, check, check. The Internet will show you how. Connections, they do get dirty and oxidised. Battery, rotor, stator, regulator, rectifier and the wires in the loom. The wires around the drive sprocket area can come in contact with the sprocket, check them also.

Last edited:
Thanks yeah found him, rang him left a message, had trouble negotiating his website.
Maybe just as well the bloke I bought the bike off is sending me a good one plus the puller and I post the puller back to him.
Geoff's cost around $200-$220
I had one rewound in that old thread for $60 but can't find Sal's phone number or remember where he lives .
Rode the bike today on total loss just down the street to get it checked out for rego,
So far so good.
Fun little bike.

Back