Flat it or wait? I need advice.

Peejay

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have just gone back to bare metal on the tank and primer filler, flat it, primer, flat it, color coat, flat it, color coat, flat it, color coat, flat it with 1000 grade, final color coat - looking good.
Using R/C pearlescent black acrylic and now comes where I need the advice.
I plan for 2 or 3 coats of clear acrylic laquer to finish but I am unsure whether to flat the final color coat with 1200 grade before the first laquer coat.
I have done the side panels pretty much the same method and the flatting before laquer seems to take the 'edge' off the pearlescent effect. Or is that my imagination?
What is your advice?
I also plan to flat between laquer coats and finally finish with T-cut, is this a good idea?
Thanks for any expert responses.:wink2:
Peejay

I just had my paint done...we did a combo, gloss clear and satin clear...looks great, and keeps the flat from looking too chalky, imo.

Gawd PJ,
I ain't the one to ask.
I fizz it coat on coat and sand out runs if I have to.
A motorcycle is art in motion, so long as it looks OK as it zooms by, that's all that matters.

Jeez, I don't go for runs but if so I flat out. I love the look that a final coat gives - all shiny & reflecting the pearl but then if I flat it plus a coat of laquer it seems to lose a bit of reflection. Trouble is if I then put the laquer on without flatting do I get a 'rough look' which I have to go all the way back?
I suppose I could just trial it out but was looking for guidance as some of you guys have fantastic results.
I take the point about 'art in motion' fredintoon but I like to feel good about the large black throbbing thing between my legs if you get my meaning, it's not a show bike but still I would like the best I can get and to do it myself, again if you get my drift.
I like the idea of satin over gloss as a finale brassneck, it also sounds like I could go gloss over satin if I don't like it.
Its the stage between final color coat & laquer that I am hesitating over.

Last edited:
I didnt flat the paint on my pearl before I applied the clear coats.
tuxedo pearl black is the color
the pearl shows the best right at the end of the video

It's been a long time, and don't know about the modern 'pearls', but oldschool considered 'pearls' as a microfine version of 'flake', for which final sand before clears is a no-no. 'Flating' the clears between layers is okay, since you're only cutting clear and not imbedded reflective particulate...

Thanks 2many & IaC I got the picture now, last finish color coat - no flatting. Flat in between laquer coats. That's the direction I was heading so confirmation is great.
The video was good to see, looks pretty much like I want my tank to look like.
I am using Hycote Acrylic 'Panther Black' pearlescent which I get mail order from McCormick Tool - http://mccormicktools.co.uk/- in the UK, I get a good price direct (better than E-bay and Amazon) and delivery is usually 24hours to my door as standard.

If it turns out OK I will post a pic - it's no great shakes, pretty stock really but I do like Panther black color!

Cheers guys for the advice,:thumbsup:
Peejay

Finally finished the paintwork and it looked great, for a short while!!
One day I got a few spots of gas spill on the tank & :wtf:

Turns out that in using 'standard' acrylic clear lacquer was a big no no.
It literally melts away when gas comes into contact.
Its OK for car panels and the like but not gas tanks.

Now got to start over but this time using 2k clear lacquer which is tougher, high gloss and petrol resistant.

Lesson learned - don't always believe what's on the can!

Back