flat seat installation

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting a flat seat on my '75 in about a weak, but I need some input. It currently has a solo seat and doesn't have any kind of seat hoop to support the rear half of the seat (don't know if you can see much from the picture) and I was wondering how difficult this will be as well as any tips, tricks or advice in doing it. I think from my research I've found that I will need to weld on a seat hoop? Can anyone that has done this before help me as far as dimensions for the hoop at whatnot, I would be very thankful.

The picture of the seat I bought is also attached. That's a picture of the seat on the bike I bought it off of. Sorry I don't have a picture of only the seat, it's at home and I'm not.

Thanks!
Smiles

Attachments

• FB_IMG_14001103251620763.jpg
    FB_IMG_14001103251620763.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
I bought the seat off this bike (sorry, don't have a picture of only the seat. It's at home and I'm not).

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 279
Yeah... you'll want to put that rear hoop back on. If you don't have a tube bender, find someone who is hard tailing their bike and throwing theirs out. Classified wanted ad.

Well there isn't really a heap of info here but heres what i reckon.

It would be pretty simple to fabricate a new hoop end. If you have the seat you can make it a perfect match. Its just steel round, nothing special.

Or like Oak said, if you find a member doing a hard tail you could use that hoop section (i.e. an old stock section).

Now the million dollar question. What are your metal work and welding skills like? The fact that you are asking suggests you're not a pro (thats not meant in a bad way). Would i do something like this as a weekend warrior? No. Last thing you want is to be sailing round a bend and a weld under the seat gives way.:doh: There's nothing more unsafe than 'home frame mods and patchy welds' but thats just my opinion. Also it might come out looking like shit. How much would it cost for a shop with all the machinery to do it? Prob not much at all, a couple of hours labor at most.:thumbsup:

Back