'fn new guy

Bought some crap at Harbor Freight yesterday. That's pretty much all they have there but I like going there anyway. I have a buffing wheel from there too, probably the same one you have. HF tools are hit and miss. I thought about getting a 12 ton shop press there but we have Northern Tool stores around here that a 12 ton press for just a little bit more and it comes with arbor plates.

I have the orange 6" buffer with two wheels. my bud has the green one with a grinder on one end. his is stronger, but I wanted two wheels on mine so I dont have to switch all the time.
And yeah. most of the stuff there is junk, but its good enuf for a garage wrencher. I dont trust things like torque wrenches, or tools that have to be quality. I used a HF tqwench on my tierods on my car, one side worked great, but when I did the other side, it never clicked. totally phucked my new tie rod.
I had only used it one othe time. I just did my rotors on my 92 accord yesterday, and the hub needs to be pressed out of the bearing to get at the rotor. sure could have used a press then. Shwab charged my 40 bucks for ten minutes of work. I hate them SOO much!! They wanted to charge me 900$ for new rotors HA! Did it with a ex-kenworth mechanic friend in six hour in my garage for parts(180$) The les schwab in our area is really bad

Yeah I have the same buffing wheel. There are a lot of good reviews on the internet about what tools at harbor freight are worth buying and which ones are junk so I try to research things before I buy them there.

yeah i :agree:hf has some good tools for the back yard wrencher but not for the pros that have to make a living useing them:bike:

actuaaly, to tell the truth, most of my tools at work are HF, because, being a welder/fab, spatter melts the plastic most tools are made of, so, all my plastic tools are like a rough texture. I was welding today, and spotted just the tiniest spot of light comming through my hood. must have got a splash from a torch I used to burn a hole with the otherday.
I do have some better tools were it matters. I have Starret squares. Just the 6 incher is 80bones. I have a 12incher , and a 18, and a angle degree-er thing, cant recall the name right now.
Also, everybody, and almost always the new guys, uses my tools, and like I say, if they grow legs, they are cheaper to replace.
What's that link for the reviews on HF tools?

we have miller tig and mig welder but we bought a cheap hf non gas welder that we use on smaal patch panels and it seems to work just fine,wouldnt use it for heavy projects though,:twocents:

Something I've read on almost all of the sites that have HF reviews is never buy any sandpaper or grinding wheels or other abrasives from Harbor Freight. They say the sandpaper is so bad the grit just falls off. I can’t verify this for myself but I just stay way from it based on what others have said. Anyone here every buy sandpaper there?

I heard the same thing about the sandpaper so I have always stayed away from it. Anyone ever bought one of their 1200lbs air motorcycle table lifts? They're on sale for $459.00, looks nice but just wondering how good they are made.

I heard the same thing about the sandpaper so I have always stayed away from it. Anyone ever bought one of their 1200lbs air motorcycle table lifts? They're on sale for $459.00, looks nice but just wondering how good they are made.
those look kinda flimsy, I wouldnt put a gold wing on it, but a 400lb 650, sure. Ide block it when it was up, justincase

I was eyeballin that ultrasonic cleaner for 24$. I wonder if a carb body would fit in it? any one have one?

About the HF lift, if I were going to spend about $500 on a lift after taxes, I would look locally for a used Handy lift. I've seen them for about $500 to $600 used. I'd take a used handy lift for $600 over a new HF one for $500 any day. :twocents:

thanks guys ,looks like i will have to build another one just like the first one i built ,was just trying to go the easy route but maybe that isnt always the best:D

thanks guys ,looks like i will have to build another one just like the first one i built ,was just trying to go the easy route but maybe that isnt always the best:D
Crash, if you're going to build a lift by converting another pallet lift, that won't be so bad.. If you're about to build one from scratch, that's a lot of damn work! I would buy the HF lift before building one from scratch. Or look for a used handy lift.

I was eyeballin that ultrasonic cleaner for 24$. I wonder if a carb body would fit in it? any one have one?
Angus67, are you talking about this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3305... I bet you could fit a carb body in there.

not thinking of building one from scratch,just coverting a similar pallet lift or just making a stationary table instead of a lift:shrug:

^ haha.. I was thinking the same thing. Sorry Angus67! Let's get this thread back on topic!

no problem. I'm interested in a lift, too. good find on the links, inxs.
Was wondering, though, is the cleaner a Borax like soap, or some powder like dish washer powder? the Powder they sell for it says not for use on alum or magnesiun.Wonder why? Too soft?

Back