Fork brace question

twindallas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Found this on Fleabay. Would this work on an xs650?

Description;

"After Market Aluminum Fork Brace. It Is For 35 MM Forks And Measures 148 MM from Inside Edge Of Hole To Inside Edge Of Other Hole. No Cracks Or Stripped Bolts. All Parts Are In Good Working..."

If my measurements are correct, it should be within a couple of millimeters. Please advise.

Attachments

• forkbrace1.jpg
    forkbrace1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 275
Unless it has some way to adjust the center to center distance of those holes I'd say you would have to be very lucky indeed for this brace to fit. Allowable tolerance for a fork brace is essentially zero. You get that by bolting it up loose, then snugging the bolts into slotted holes for a nice rigid yet friction free assembly of fork tubes, sliders, brace, axle, and wheel. That is a lot of tolerances to stack up on each other and hope the combination matches what looks like one machined piece of aluminum.
I hate to be a naysayer, but IMHO this is more likely to bind than to brace.

This is a Tarozzi brace and I understand how it fits and functions.
25-0045_zoom.jpg

25-0045_alt3_zoom.jpg

There are others made just like this. TKAT is one.

This is Hughes Handbuilt Brace. I understand it, too.
DSC_0353_0745.jpg

Mike's XS has one that clears the fender and I'm sure some others have one like it.

That thing you're showing us, I haven't a clue. Go with something tried and true.

Thanks guys, that helps me know what NOT to buy! I'll have to price the others and see if it's in the budget right now.

Those split fork braces (tweak bar) were common in the '70s, and cheap. They don't provide enough clamping power to prevent fork twist (tweaking)...

OK. I might go with something like this if I can find the correct fitment.

Attachments

• forkbrace2.jpg
    forkbrace2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 232
That looks like one that clamps on the tubes, not the lowers like a normal fork brace does. Those were used on the tubes of extended forks in the '70s. It's not what you want.

That looks like one that clamps on the tubes, not the lowers like a normal fork brace does. Those were used on the tubes of extended forks in the '70s. It's not what you want.

I'm old enough. I should have figured that out. Duh! Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not running a front fender for sure. I think the Hughs brace will be just what I need, and I like the look of the raw steel.

Back