Fork leg help needed

tmikeyb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've been working on building a fork for my 1972 model XS2. I'd like some help with my latest issue. I finally got 1 leg completely assembled. I thought that the 2nd leg was ready to assemble. But, when I went to slide the upper (inner) tube into the lower aluminum leg, It stuck about 4 or 5 inches from the bottom. When I got it out, I found that the inside of the lower outer tube was skinned up pretty badly inside, down toward the bottom. I'm assuming that this may have been caused by the 6 inch extended fork tubes that I removed. All I could think to do was to hone the inside of the lower tube casting until I got enough clearance for it to slide. I tried a flap type hone with light emery cloth in it, then I tried a brake cylinder hone. I used both repeatedly, but neither cut enough to fix the problem. I was using light motor oil as a lubricant. Was that keeping them from cutting enough? Should I use something else as a lube?, or maybe none at all? I can tap the upper tube to the bottom, with a brass hammer, but it's really tight, and difficult to get back out. This whole thing has been a real challenge, but I think that this is the last hurdle.

It's possible someone clamped that lower fork leg in a vice and deformed it (made it oval). It's pretty easy to ruin a fork leg like that.

Have a look at the outside of the lower... down where it sticks... see if there's any marks from being in a vise?
They're cast aluminum, they'll take an oval shape much easier than most people realize. If that happens, it's a boat anchor.
Put up some pics?

Have a look at the outside of the lower... down where it sticks... see if there's any marks from being in a vise?
They're cast aluminum, they'll take an oval shape much easier than most people realize. If that happens, it's a boat anchor.
Put up some pics?

Yup, what Jim said. I had a very similar problem with my XS2. A prior owner had apparently clamped the lower legs in a vise to change the fork seals, it bent the legs enough that the tubes would no longer slide together. Story and photos here,
https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-73#post-572813

Yup, what Jim said. I had a very similar problem with my XS2. A prior owner had apparently clamped the lower legs in a vise to change the fork seals, it bent the legs enough that the tubes would no longer slide together. Story and photos here,
https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-73#post-572813
Thanks guys. I did think about the possibility that somebody may have deformed the lower leg in a vise. There aren't any marks that would indicate that, but it still may have happened. I don't have a good way to measure the I.D. down that far inside to check. I do have an extra lower leg that the upper fits into OK. I wasn't going to use it, only because somebody broke out a small chunk at the top, probably while removing the seal. The broken out piece is about 5/16 to 3/8 wide. I don't realy see any reason why it could'nt be used, I just thought that I had a better one. I imagine that many of these have broken out pieces at the top. What are your opinions about using that one?

Back