Fork lock slot and new bearings

zanzara

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I am putting in new steering bearings and put in a grease point while I am at it but what are you supposed to do about the fork lock hole in the steer tube to keep grease from just falling out of it? I had a piece of PVC pipe cut and fit on there but the lock body hits it when installed. Put something on the inside?? I can't be the first but couldn't find anything.

Anyhow better than the title of what I had in my head for a few minutes of "fork hole seal"

Get a cork from a wine bottle and drive it up into the hole in the bottom of the stem. I asked at the local tavern and they gave me a whole handful, lol. That will hold the grease in for you. I thought that PVC pipe section was a great idea too when I say it on Goran's site but it blocks fork lock engagement on a Standard. It only works on the Special which uses an external fork lock built into the ignition switch. It's just a grease saving mod anyway. It won't stop grease coming out the open stem bottom on a Standard. It will take quite a few pumps initially to fill the stem but after that in the future, just a couple to re-grease the bearings.

Back