Fork rebuild question

Graeme1198

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my forks back from rechroming, woo.

Im looking at the manual to rebuild my forks but none of them seem to relate to what I’ve got here.

Bottom of my fork tube I have a C slip a spacer washer and another part which I assume goes a specific way....obviously stops the dampener rod coming out the bottom

cant work out which way they go.... I’ll attach some pictures any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
tube.jpg

Here is the end of my still-assembled tube. My parts sure don't look like your parts. I'm questioning if all of your parts are even original. For example, your small tube has what looks like an ALCOA Aluminum Mfg. Co. stamp on it. Pretty sure that's not original. And, your washer/spacer with the two keyways -- I've never seen one like that either.
Anyways, looking into my tube I see this: first the small tube as shown in my pic, with chamfered edge down. Next, the plain washer you show in the middle of your first picture. Next, a washer/spacer with FOUR keyways. The keyways are raised, and the keyways point away from the tube bottom. That's it. No C-clip.
I'm not sure that I have ever removed those small parts from a fork tube, and I don't really seem to see how I'd even get them out if I wanted to. It looks to me like the bottom of the fork tube was rolled in after all the small parts were in, locking them all in. It looks like the I.D. of the rolled edge was reduced/cut off on yours, allowing those small parts to be removed.
Mine is a 35mm fork. Maybe yours is a 34mm and everything I just said is moot?

Thanks for your reply, the forks are 35mm.... but there much longer than standard. Hadn’t really noticed to be honest as it’s my first xs build.

From what I’ve read and seen on a few other threads these are 4” overs than stock.
The hard ware that’s been added is to keep the dampener rod from falling out.
I’ve managed to get the shocks back together, they are working.... but I had to change the C clip as it was hitting on the taper spindle.

I’m unsure as to the orientation of the key way, but I could see some markings on the ends where they’ve been in contact before.....

J like to know a bit more about the forks/hardware now if anyone’s seen it before.... they seem to be working well but I won’t know fully until I test ride it....

From your pic, it appears you have the later 35mm forks and trees. That bushing was only removable on the '77 tubes. All later tubes had those parts "crimped" in like DogBunny's pic shows. Here's a '77 tube showing it's removable parts next to a '78 and newer tube. The parts you found in yours don't seem to resemble originals at all .....

Ivcl1Q3.jpg

Maybe your extended tubes were made for a '77 model and the bushing parts were supposed to be swapped over from the original '77 tubes. Then maybe the P.O. didn't have '77 tubes, so he just made up stuff to stick in there, lol.

Fantastic!
thanks for the info!
That makes a lot of sense..... if I could pick up the 77 bushing parts I assume it’ll all be ok??
Be annoying if Not as I've just spend a lot of money on re chroming....

Yes, you should just be able to swap the parts in from another set of tubes. You might get lucky and find some shot tubes (all rusty) but with these parts still good. They did, after all, sit inside and in oil, so could still be OK.

Back