fork tubes:can I really polish mine

eosdelb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you dont have to throw them out? you guys have actually used them after they get rust pits in them? Sanding with 1000 grit? If that works I am thinking about putting my fork tubes in the lathe and polish with 5000 and 10000 grit paper that I just happen to use as a clipper blade sharpener. I can really (actually put a mirror finish on mild steel) with the sand paper I use. You can buy the sand paper too at leevalley.com it is on page 98 of their catalogue.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/home/OnlineCatalog.aspx?id=295a43a2

Let me hear from you if you have sanded your forks and let me know what the results were.

I've polished mine, though with 800 grit and solvent. I did it to take the chips and dings from flying rocks out, not rust pits. Worked really well; I haven't had a seal leak since, and I use air forks. If you have pits where the seal rides, it might help, and sure couldn't hurt (as long as it's not done to excess). Or have them turned down and re-hard chromed?

My forks dont really have bad nicks and pits. One of the seals had been leaking and the dust cover was busted when I got it. There are really only very very shallow wear lines left by the old seal moving across it. I got new seals and dust covers. I guess it is worth a try.
Anybody else done it?

I have rounded off the edges of rust pits and that seemed to work fine, most were above the slider area though. I would tend towards just doing that, no sense removing the chrome?

The old trick used to be araldite just fill the pitts and rub it down, then turn the legs around so the best side is at the front.

Thanks for the tip. I really think I am in good shape on this. I have only to polish and put new seals in. If you guys can keep your pits working I gotta give mine a try.

Anybody got a bullethole through theirs and they rubbed some monkey crap in it and kept on going? :thumbsup:

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0003-2.jpg

IMG_0001-4.jpg

Those are pretty but I am talking about the inner or upper fork tube not the lower or outer. Did you use that wire brush on your inner fork tubes? If your bike is finished Ide like to see it.

Noooo not on my inners. Here is a pic of it in the fall when I had it together before the next step . Remember, I'm NOT a photographer!
IMG_0001-5.jpg

I have been in the shop all day today taking apart, cleaning and and polishing my fork tubes. I couldnt get every thing out. Not even with 15000 grit diamond compound. If I use a slightly heavy oil it shouldnt leak. I hope

If you use a heavy oil, the forks won't be as responsive as with a lite oil. As long as you keep the tubes concentric,( perfectly round) you should be ok. If your worried about new seals leaking because you might have taken too much off, don't be. You can add a little more tension to the spring inside the seal by unscrewing the spring where it joins together & removing 4-5 turns off the end that the smaller part of the spring screws into.Use a good silicone grease on the lips of the seals before installing, filling the 'channel' with the grease. I have done this to allot of different seals, from crnkshaft seals too pinion seals, with very good result's.
Of course, you dont want to take of allot of material 'cause the tubes will not work like they should. They're a close fit to the bushing inside the lower leg, and a loose fit will cause handling problems. But minor surface defect's can be polished out.

Hello Gordon, Thanks. Your saying the actual seal itself has adjustment? I have a set at the shop from Mikes XS. Havent looked at them. I think I understand, I have torn a seal or two up and got the spring out before. Oh yeah meant to tell everybody, getting the old seal out was real easy with a small pair of craftsman robogrip pliers. I reached in and gabbed one side and pryed on the other side of the seal. it popped out and never touched the tube.

Well, I wouldn't say adjustable. But they can be snugged up a bit by the method described. That trick works well, esp. on the grooves worn into things like harmonic balancers & pinion flanges.

Back