1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Fork tubes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stuck in blighty, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Stuck in blighty

Stuck in blighty XS650 Member

Uk
    Hi all
    Just purchased a new set of fork tubes from eBay they were new old stock, but they are 27 1/8 long! My old ones are 23 1/8 long, my question is can I use the new ones with the old stock parts?
    Thanks
    Dale

2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

3. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

They may be NOS but they are 4 inch over tubes. Can you use them with your stock parts? Yes, your stock parts should fit but you will need to add a 4 inch spacer on top of the spring to make up for the extra 4 inches of tube.
    This will make your forks 4 inches ;longer, lifting the front up, tilting the frame off level. This is ok if you like the look, Myself I don't. The side stand will need to be extended, the center stand my work but will probably need work.
    It will effect handling a bit. It will increase rake a bit, not sure on the trail.
    Leo

4. pago cruiser

pago cruiser XS650 Addict

A good machinist should be able to shorten and re-thread these - usually done from the top. As with a lot of things, its relatively easy with the right tools.
    Just noticed you are in the Olde Country. I have had WASP Motorcycles make some leading link forks up for me on other projects. This should be something they can do - or give you a reference. They are located near Stonehenge - should be easy to find!

5. Stuck in blighty

Stuck in blighty XS650 Member

Uk
    Thanks for the reply guys,I should have measured the forks before I bid on the new ones! Never mind every day is a school day, I will check out wasp motorcycles.
    Cheers
    Dale