Fork tubes

Stuck in blighty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just purchased a new set of fork tubes from eBay they were new old stock, but they are 27 1/8 long! My old ones are 23 1/8 long, my question is can I use the new ones with the old stock parts?
Thanks
Dale

They may be NOS but they are 4 inch over tubes. Can you use them with your stock parts? Yes, your stock parts should fit but you will need to add a 4 inch spacer on top of the spring to make up for the extra 4 inches of tube.
This will make your forks 4 inches ;longer, lifting the front up, tilting the frame off level. This is ok if you like the look, Myself I don't. The side stand will need to be extended, the center stand my work but will probably need work.
It will effect handling a bit. It will increase rake a bit, not sure on the trail.
Leo

A good machinist should be able to shorten and re-thread these - usually done from the top. As with a lot of things, its relatively easy with the right tools.
Just noticed you are in the Olde Country. I have had WASP Motorcycles make some leading link forks up for me on other projects. This should be something they can do - or give you a reference. They are located near Stonehenge - should be easy to find!

Thanks for the reply guys,I should have measured the forks before I bid on the new ones! Never mind every day is a school day, I will check out wasp motorcycles.
Cheers
Dale

Back